Virtual machine display resolution change help

charous

Reaction score
Credits
Hello, I downloaded Virtual Machine Manager to use multiple OSes on my laptop,
and I made Windows 11 virtual machine. but the screen was too small...(640x480 in bios settings, 1280x800 in Windows settings. Native is 1920x1080)
So I searched about this problem and it said "Go to bios>Device Manager>OVMF Platform Configuration and set the resolution
as your native resolution" and I set the resolution to 1920x1080 but it says "Submit Fail for Form: OVMF Settings"
I am partially using Google Translator and I am sorry if my English was hard to understand...
Thank you

Details:
OS: Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm) x86_64 (on ChromeOS(Brunch Framework))
CPU: 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H (20) @ 2.668GHz
GPU: 00:02.0 Red Hat, Inc. Virtio 1.0 GPU

Screenshot 2024-02-26 06.09.11.png
Screenshot 2024-02-26 06.05.29.png

I had a similar problem, not with a virtual machine but using my monitor with a laptop. If what I did doesn't help, there are a lot of people with A LOT of experience here. One of them can surely help you.

My monitor is a low to mid range gaming one. The native aspect ratio and resolution are much higher than the laptops integrated screen. Like you, I had a tiny or scewed image on my monitor using the laptop screen's native resolution. After a lot of trial and error I finally found something that worked.

First, my monitor was set as the primary screen. I had to begin changing the laptop settings and the screens had to be mirrored. Don't ask me why it wouldn't work the other way around. I don't know enough to tell you.

First, the laptop screen, I picked an aspect ratio setting that most closely matched that of my monitor. That only one was smallest one. On the laptop it looked fine. My monitor's display was very small.

Then I went the laptop's settings for my monitor. The laptop settings for my monitor were still set at it's native resolution. I tried to use a lower setting. The image on my monitor was bigger, but not big enough.

I went back to settings for the laptop screen. This time I saw larger screen sizes with the same aspect ratio. The smaller images had a choice of resolutions. As as the size of the image increased, there was only one resolution. The resolution was different by 1 from my monitor.

I went back to settings for the primary display. I gradually increased the available sizes maintaining the same aspect ratio. I finally got an image just a tiny bit smaller than the screen. I don't really it though.

Like I said, I went round and round trying different combinations. Eventually
I found something that worked.

Welcome to the Forum.
m0135.gif

I've never used Virtual Machine Manager...sorry I can't help.

You might be better off trying Virtualbox as it's easy to run your VM in Full Screen Mode.
m1212.gif

hi , i'v never used VMM but i was using virtual box and had resolution problem with windows 7 , there were no guest additions so i simply resized resolution from display settings .

I switched to VirtualBox from Virtual Machine Manager. But this time, it says "Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)"
I am very new to Linux and I don't speak English very well, so I couldn't understand what I had to do. I tried various solutions but none of these worked.

Or is this problem related to the Debian itself?
a community post said Linux(Debian) on ChromeOS is missing some modules
so... is it possible to install all missing modules manually?

The image below is the full error message:
Screenshot 2024-02-27 01.46.54.png

Last edited:
Last edited:

Latest posts