Update issues

NotveryMint

Reaction score
Credits
Ive tried to follow the instruction in the terminal box but , get told command not found. Never had problem with updates before. Please help. I am a rank amatuer.

Hopefully thank you.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2022-04-25 08-47-29.png
    Screenshot from 2022-04-25 08-47-29.png
    95.6 KB · Views: 178

Best if you copy and paste the command in post 2, to avoid errors

You probably have to sudo it or become root if it says that.
But what's that E: -- in what OS are you, there? It must mean "Error."

- in what OS are you, there? It must mean "Error."
if you look closely at his attachment, you will see he is using Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
and yes, the E.. on the report means error

deleted wrong instructions

Have you run dpkg yet? what is the result?

Have you run dpkg yet? what is the result?
Yes, it worked but led to another problem. I have absolutely no idea or necessary skills to overcome this. C

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2022-04-25 18-56-49.png
    Screenshot from 2022-04-25 18-56-49.png
    287.8 KB · Views: 149
  • Screenshot from 2022-04-25 18-59-20.png
    Screenshot from 2022-04-25 18-59-20.png
    276.9 KB · Views: 154
ok let's try and force a fix, in the terminal run

sudo apt-get update --fix-missing
then when thats finished
sudo apt install -f
after this has finished
sudo apt-get autoremove

No need to, Brian, at this point.

G'day @NotveryMint and welcome to linux.org :)

What you are experiencing is a warning only (hence the W), that is, non-fatal.

It happens quite commonly. You can eliminate it by installing all the modules it is reporting on, but that is worth more time that I consider to be better spent on other pursuits.

The question is, what happens after those warnings finish? Does the output continue to what appears to be a satisfactory conclusion?

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

plus notification of 48 updates pending!
Have you done the updates yet?
I prefer to do them via the terminal.. sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade part way through it will ask if you wish to continue, push y then enter. then you can run autoremove [it may not have had anything to remove the first time]

if your still having problems updating, try dpkg --configure-a and then running the update command again
did you know there ia a simple way to upgrade from mint 19 to mint 20 that also may be an easy way to solve the problems https://linuxmint-user-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/upgrade-to-mint-20.html

Last edited:
ok let's try and force a fix, in the terminal run

sudo apt-get update --fix-missing
then when thats finished
sudo apt install -f
after this has finished
sudo apt-get autoremove
THANK YOU! I have discovered patience. Like waiting for a process to conclude... I now have taken the job through to the end and my PC is up to date. Thank you again. ChrisK

No need to, Brian, at this point.

G'day @NotveryMint and welcome to linux.org :)

What you are experiencing is a warning only (hence the W), that is, non-fatal.

It happens quite commonly. You can eliminate it by installing all the modules it is reporting on, but that is worth more time that I consider to be better spent on other pursuits.

The question is, what happens after those warnings finish? Does the output continue to what appears to be a satisfactory conclusion?

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
THANK YOU! I have discovered patience. Like waiting for a process to conclude... I now have taken the job, as per Brickwizards instructions, through to the end and my PC is up to date. Thank you again. ChrisK

Well done,
It would be best if you keep your updates, well updated, at least once a week either by terminal or update manager, the fewer it has to cope with the quicker the job gets done ;)

Members online

Latest posts