Typesetting a full book part II, Scribus

Tolkem

Reaction score
Credits
I just read this article https://nibblestew.blogspot.com/2021/06/typesetting-full-book-part-ii-scribus.html
and thought of sharing here, maybe someone may find this info useful and helpful. An excerpt:
First of all, a Scribus document should not be created until the text is almost completely finished. Doing big changes (like adding text to existing chapters, changing physical page size etc) can become quite tedious. Scribus also does not do long pieces of text particularly smootly. I tried loading all 350is pages to a single linked frame sequence. It sort of worked, but things got quite laggy quite quickly. Eventually I converged on a layout where every chapter was its own set of linked frames. The text was imported directly from LO files that held one chapter each. The original had just one big LO file, so I had to split it up by hand for the import. If the original had been done with master documents, this would have been simpler.

i've used scribus quite a bit in the past like anything else there was a small learning curve.
The key concept for me was to realize basically everything is in layers and anything including text boxes can be dragged around to where you like. One quirk which i don't know if they addressed was that there is no spell checker. To get around that you save the work as an .sla file. Then you use aspell along the lines of :

Code:
aspell --lang=en --encoding=utf-8 --mode=sgml --add-sgml-check=ch check scribusFile.sla

Members online