Trying to install Linux on a new SSD (Solved)

Go into Update manager, click on Edit....then Software Sources....password

Restore the default settings. The be sure to click OK down the bottom of that window

if that brings no joy, I would be tempted to reinstall.

Use the whole disk for Linux and allow the installer to do its own thing.

I'm sure you're right that I shouldn't have to do that but the thing is it was the only thing that worked, now I just have the update manager issue.
actually you did ok. Obviously you would wait for networked connection/installation forever: 1) eliminated sdd possible problem with gparted, disabled internet and successfully installed OS. Installers are stupid unfortunately, otherwise it would tell you that there is an issue with network installation and proceed with local installation.
Enjoy linux

Go into Update manager, click on Edit....then Software Sources....password

Restore the default settings. The be sure to click OK down the bottom of that window

if that brings no joy, I would be tempted to reinstall.

Use the whole disk for Linux and allow the installer to do its own thing.
Yeah thanks but I've already tried that as well as many different mirrors so I guess I will have to try another fresh install. It really shouldn't be this difficult but I'll give it another go, busy with other stuff just now, life gets in the way sometimes:)

Might be a good idea to start again and do a clean install.
m1213.gif

Follow the instructions...https://linuxmint-installation-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/install.html

You're installing Mint in a Tower...so no need to connect to the internet...it's already connected.
Installation type...choose Erase Disk and Install Linux Mint...this method installs Mint to the whole Drive and there's no need to encrypt the Home Folder either.
m1212.gif

Finally I have found the solution & this time it has worked without any issues.
What I did was from the live flash drive I selected "install with compatibility mode" this time it install in minutes rather than hours and there are no update manager issues either, everything appears to working as it should. I don't understand compatibility mode but I'm guessing it disables certain things that are not required and presumably this woul include whatever was causing the issue, I don't know why this was necessary as I've never had this problem before when installing Linux mint, I'm just grateful to have finally succeeded after all this time.
So I will finish with a great big thank you to everyone who did their best to help me. As always the Linux community is brilliant. Thanks a million.

Yeah, thanks for that. I do now have a successful installation of 21.3 on both my wife's desktop (Mate edition) as she only has 4gb ram and cinnamon on my laptop with 16gb ram, both have been running for a couple of days now and there's no issues with either so fingers crossed it stays that way. Again thanks for your input and to all those that helped me.

I like Crucial's kit.

The HP has been outfitted with 32GB of their DDR4 RAM for a couple of years. Although there was nowt wrong with it, I decided to replace the 1 TB Toshie plate-spinner with an SSD a while back, since prices had dropped to pretty much an all-time low.....and went for a 1 TB Crucial MX-500.

It's only single-cell, but this actually makes it more durable.....and reliability is the name of the game, so far as I'm concerned. To date, it's been 100% dead reliable. I'm very pleased with it, despite that it's nowhere near as fast as an nVME drive would be; speed ISN'T everything in my book.

500 MB/s read / 300 MB/s write is quite fast enough where Puppy's concerned, given that she runs completely in RAM anyway. Which means she runs at the speed of your RAM, for those not "in the know"...

Mike. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts