Toshiba NB500

M

Matthew Swart

Hi All

I am new to these parts and was wondering if anyone could help me.

I got a Toshiba NB500 as payment on a job I did for a family friend a while back. It came with Windows 7 Start version and was slower then a snail on acid. In the past I have had CrunchBang on the system and at the moment Puppy Mint. I find the Mint sluggish on the system and I am now looking for something light weight.

My wife is going back to college in September and I want to give her the netbook with a limited learning curve. She is used to windows and I have set her up with Google drive so that all her documents are in one place.

I am looking for a distro that wont kick and scream on the Toshiba which has an Atom processor but I should be able to add the software that will help her in college i.e Libreoffice, calculator etc etc.

Thanks a million for taking the time to read my post and I welcome and thank you for any and all input you may provide.

Matt

Has your netbook got the 1Gb default RAM? Can you max it out to 2Gb?

All ready have 2GB in it at moment upgraded that when I got it as windows didn't like the 1 GB.

Thanks for the post WharfRat I am downloading and trying all the suggested distros but a learning curve for me as I am used to #! which is on my other laptop and happy with it.

https://www.linuxliteos.com/

Linux Lite is designed for new users to Linux, while also being designed to give computers a few more years of life. Why not run it in a VM and see how you get on with it?

First, what I got is the Asian version of the NB500, which is in fact attractive much identical to the NB505 available in the Japan(except some minor keyboard layout changes and color options). I had the white version and it was exactly the device you can find in markets these days, not a sample or anything like that.

Members online