tftp problems [SOLVED]

dos2unix

Reaction score
Credits
I use tftp quite a bit. I know it's an old insecure protocol, but some of the computers I kickstart, it's the only PXEboot protocol
they support. I've been using it for years. But now I jhave a problem. It works locally on the tftp server. ( which is also my dhcp
server for kickstart ). I can download files all day long as any user ( even non-root ). However I cannot download anything remotely.
( even as root ). Currently SELinux is disabled, tftpboot service/port is open on the firewall ( udp/69) and the permissions of my
/var/lib/tftpboot directory are 777 ( wide open ).

It's been a while since the last time I set this up, and it's likely I'm missing something stupid and simple, but so far I haven't been able to
find it. ChatGPT gave a few suggestions, but they didn't help. I'm open to any ideas.

As my old servers die-off, I upgrade them to systems that support https-boot. But I'm not there yet.

It seems I ran into this before, several years back, but I can't remember how I fixed it.

Last edited:

How to fix. Turns out the server was configured correctly. The client was the problem.

On the tftp client, do the following. ( assumes firewalld based systems )

# firewall-cmd --permanent --new-policy tftp-client-data
# firewall-cmd --permanent --policy tftp-client-data --add-ingress-zone HOST
# firewall-cmd --permanent --policy tftp-client-data --add-egress-zone ANY
# firewall-cmd --permanent --policy tftp-client-data --add-service tftp
# firewall-cmd --reload

Nice outcome, thanks for sharing.

Do I need to trll you how to mark this as Solved. lol?

Members online