SOLVED-Ubuntu install successfully but the screen is incomplete and non responsive.

@Tori

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, my friend asked me to "repair" old notebook Asus F5SL. There was no OS at the time I got the notebook, so I've opted for Ubuntu 32bit distro. My fried wants the notebook for internet serfing and watching movies, nothing else. I made an installation USB flash drive, the installation looked good. Then at the end it wanted to restart so I clicked on the restart button. But it does only show a screen woth strange code. Then when I switch it of and on again, it shows a screen with only some icons on the homescreen and it is unresponsive. Can please anyone help me or advise where to ask? Thank you so much for any advise. I am not IT professional bit I would really like to solve this. I have repeated the process with the same results.

Not knowing the hard drive status, I'd say wipe it first.

If one installs antiX-21_386-base.iso it will almost always work on such machines as the one in question.
32bit is a good start and something you know. You only need a base install if "the notebook for internet serfing and watching movies, nothing else" is all that is desired.

Streaming movies may present a problem unless either more RAM is made available or a swap file is created, something that antiX has very good documentation over. Watching DVD movies should be no problem.

2GB RAM is barely adequate for many distros and performance would be lousy with ubuntu or mint or other popular modern distros, nowadays. I ran Mint on similar machines, although PIII, and was not pleased.

Do you know how to wipe a hdd with zeroes or otherwise?

Last edited:
Hi, thank you for this iso. I'm going to try it right now. Well there was a question before installation if I want to delete everything on the disk before it installs and I clicked yes just to be sure. Is that it or should I do something else?

If the install has the option, wipe the hard drive that way. If not, come back for more info.

Congrats! Am happy for you and your friend.
Mark it solved.

Edit you're first post title by adding SOLVED

Latest posts