[SOLVED] Python 3.12.2 on Parrot Home Edition?

Freepoorman

Reaction score
Credits
Hi all. I have the latest version of Parrot home edition installed, when I run:
I ran:
Code:
python3 --version
and result is Python 3.9.2

So when I run:
Code:
sudo apt update
..then
Code:
sudo apt install python3

I get:
python3 is already the newest version (3.9.2-3).
Even after I run the command:
Code:
sudo apt upgrade
I still get the same results.

It's not a big deal, I'm just curious if later versions aren't supported yet or if I am doing something wrong?

I saw a video on youtube of someone allegedly installing the latest version of python on parrot but I couldn't understand their accent so I didn't really know what was happening..

most likely that is what's available in the Parrot repositories - what version of Parrot are you using? - I believe the latest version runs 3.11.2 since Parrot is based on Debian Stable and that is what Debian 12 Bookworm runs

The only other option to upgrade is to build it yourself - https://aruljohn.com/blog/install-python-debian/

This is from Parrot Home Edition 6 which is the same as Debian 12

1.png

This is from Parrot Home Edition 6 which is the same as Debian 12

View attachment 18786
I'm sorry, I downloaded and installed parrot home edition yesterday from the official site so I took for granted it was the latest version.. I downloaded the .ova file and installed that on a VM, turns out that it is:
Parrot OS 5.3 (Electro Ara)

Thanks for clearing that up.

I was just about to say I swapped the laptop to the Parrot drive and it had 3-11-2 in the software manager,
as 3-11 has not been tested on parrot 5 there could cause a software miss match

parrot vm is not yet available in version 6

as 3-11 has not been tested on parrot 5 there could cause a software miss match

When I try create a virtual environment in python I get an error saying I need to install the python3-venv package and gives me the following command:
Code:
apt install python3.11-venv

If I run this code won't I get compatibility issues?

Members online