[ solved ] Encountering some trouble installing linux on ASUS FX505DY

So when I tried to install nvidia drivers it did not recognize an nvidia card, which I suppose is for the best. I did get to the stable repos but I'm brand new to linux and I wasn't able to figure out how to install the speicific drivers for for the 560x. Was fun to poke around for a bit through the menus however.

I will mention @Brickwizard here, and also @Lord Boltar, @dos2unix ....... and @Lufo .....all of whom have way more experience than I.

They will not come online until later...(different time zones etc etc)

Their input will be invaluable.

Last edited:

Radeon™ Software for Linux® installer version 22.20 for Ubuntu 22.04 and 22.04.01
Revision Number
File Size
14 KB
Release Date
7/14/2022
DOWNLOAD*

The above are just an educated guess on my part....better that the guys who know about this stuff look it over first.

However....your amd gpu is definitely ok with Linux.

Note that the driver download i have referred to above is for Ubuntu 22.040& 22.04.01.....All Linux OS's are based on Ubunto....so with a bit of luck MX and Linux Mint and of course Ubuntu itself will be ok with that.

Last edited:
Sweet, well its good to know thats not a point of conflict. I downloaded the deb file, although I do not know how to make use of it. Should I try booting MX and downloading the file / getting the amd installer package, or is there more to it than that? Or is there a way to try it with Ubuntu and install it before booting from the usb. I don't quite understand how the installer packages work yet but I can try to experiment and figure it out.

.All Linux OS's are based on Ubunto...
My friend, there are many base systems in Linux, the three most common are RHEL [Redhat] Slackware and Debian, each has many children and grandchildren, Ubuntu for example is a direct child of Debian, Mint is a child of Ubuntu and a grandchild of Debian, the rule of thumb is commands for Debian should work in any of its family, likewise commands for RHEL should work in any RHEL family member , and so on,[but its not always so] MX is a child of Debian,
Should I try booting MX
you have a fairly modern box, I would suggest you download Linux MX-AHS, burn it to a good quality clean usb formatted FAT32 or EXFAT, old or cheap USB drives are fine for storage but often cause installation errors, MX should work ok with APCI, but to turn off both windows quick-start and safe boot in the BIOS, the latest kernel drivers for the Ryzen family include the Linux GPU drivers,
Please read my how to install Linux guide, to make sure you are not missing any steps.
I don't know which timezone you are in, I am in GMT/UTC/ZULU and am usually around on and off from 0800 to 21-00 gmt

Hey brick, thanks for the suggestions, but unfortunately I already gave MX ahs a go right after I wasn't able to get standard MX working. The drive I'm using is relatively new, and I've already given 3 drives a go (though not specifically with MX), just in case. Also already have safe boot and quick start disabled.

Good afternoon, MX-AHS has the best collection of latest drivers included, if that won't work, I dont know what would.

Hey I just tried MX-AHS again, on a different drive, and still no luck. It freezes while 'running scripts,' before reaching the live boot. MX (non-ahs) is still the only distro that gets me to a live environment (freezing only during install). Also tried zorin-lite, with no luck as well. Wonder what could be going on.

This BIOS setting is one to look at. AHCI is usually preferred for SSD drives, but I would try other options this setting might offer. I might also consider resetting the entire BIOS to default values and starting over since the chase for drivers does not seem to help (yet).

Try Fedora. Especially if your SSD is a NVMe type. I've seen many people with NVMe and eMMC trouble with Linux, including myself. Fedora has seemed to work best for me in these cases.

Good luck!

Last edited:
GOT IT!! Finally figured out what was going on. Apparently there was a version of this laptop that shipped with a wd black ssd that supposedly has major compatibility issues with linux.

had to adjust the boot setting to: nvme_core.default_ps_max_latency_us=5500

I tried it with linux mint and I was able to install it to my second drive, hassle free. Going to give it a go with pop now. Thanks everyone here for all your ideas and help.

Also have a final quick question, I am still getting the ACPI error when booting, although it does not seem to be causing any (clear) issue. Should I set it to consistently boot with acpi=off to be safe?

Typing this from a freshly installed pop os. Thanks again everyone, your guys support and ideas kept me eager to keep trying new things. Super stoked right now.

final update: after just a few hours of using linux / pop, feel I have found EXACTLY the OS I have been looking for. It solves the long list of gripes that I have had with microsoft for years now, which seemed to be getting worse and worse to the point I felt it necessary to ditch and move to linux. It's only been brief, but I am beyond pleased with the switch and already have everything set up that I had running on windows.

Last edited:
G'day @dolphinjones and welcome to linux.org :)

May I just ask a couple of questions, regarding your usage of Pop!_OS?
  1. Is your computer running on BIOS-MBR or UEFI-GPT?
  2. Are you just running the one Linux or are you planning to dual-boot or multiboot?
Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

BTW if you have not done so already, when you install (nearly) any Linux, run from Terminal

Code:
sudo ufw enable

That will launch the Uncomplicated FireWall, in real time, and then implement it from a small script generated for each and every reboot/startup.

Wiz

when you install (nearly) any Linux, run from Terminal
Good advice, and something I got into doing automatically when also setting up timeshift

Thanks Wizard, I'm not sure which BIOS I'm running. I'm out of town for the weekend but I'd be happy to check when I get back. Believe it's UEFI though. Right now I'm planning to leave windows installed as a dual boot for the next month or two to make sure everything goes smooth. But once I feel steady, I'll just have a single boot (honestly feel ready to do so already). May install another distro here or there just out of curiousity.

I installed GUFW from the store right after getting running. Are there any other basic security steps I should take? I have my whole little system on windows when I fresh install, but as of now on linux I just have the firewall enabled, and ublock blocking all 3rd party scripts and frames by default. Is the pop store totally safe, or are there reasons to be wary?

Is the pop store totally safe,
Each distribution will have its own repository, but will also share other distribution repositories, many of these are on the distribution's own server others on trusted servers, I feel confident these are secure, however if you install 3rd party [non distribution] apps I would suggest you check what other users think if you have any doubts.

when it comes to security, there are no totally secure systems out there, Linux, is probably the most secure, but at the end of the day the weakest link is the processor controlling the fingers on the keyboard.

Is the pop store totally safe, or are there reasons to be wary?

I have no knowledge to the contrary. :)

I'm not sure which BIOS I'm running. I'm out of town for the weekend but I'd be happy to check when I get back. Believe it's UEFI though

If you want to check, open your File Manager and under Other Locations - Computer, check for the existence of a folder

/sys/firmware/efi/efivars

If that is there, you are on UEFI.

May install another distro here or there just out of curiousity.

If the above applies, being under UEFI, then you may need to install Grub, to get a boot menu for dual or multibooting.

Suggest bookmark this, your own, thread, and come back to it and I'll point you in the right direction.

Avagudweegend.

Wizard

Members online