Slowness of site is intolerable.

C

Cyber-Berserker

I assume it is because of all the advertisements and links to articles, but this site has always been slow; slow to load the site and slow to open pages. But it has recently gotten very bad. For the last week or so, it takes minutes to both load the site and open pages. Not a minute, but about five minutes. Often pages (threads) will not open. They freeze while loading. I assume the links and ads are at the centre of the problem, because Linux Questions is another site that is slow. The reason being all the advertisements. It is not a browser issue. I have more than one browser installed and they all experience slowness at LQ and linux.org. None of them have problems with any of the other sites I regularly visit. A little slowness is tolerable, but five minutes or more to open the site and another five minutes or more to open threads, not to mention re-opening threads because they froze while loading, is too long. If the situation does not improve soon, I shall have no choice but to stop visiting this site. Perhaps switch to phpBB? Band width too small? I hope the site's performance improves, but as it is, it is intolerably slow. My location may contribute to the problem. The signal may be slowed down while traversing the Great Firewall, but I do not experience that problem to this level anywhere else.

Any explanations, feedback, criticism, suggestions, prayers, curses in my direction are welcome.

I often get high pings to this site... but it's ok on the whole.

The only solution to the ads is to block them... which is what I do - I don't have much choice as my computer is an old thing and the ads cause the CPU fan to run flat out and scrolling gets very jerky...

My suggestion? Cease thy whinging...

adblock

and/or

noscript

(I use some other shit as well, but won't bother you with that...)

My suggestion? Cease thy whinging...
:( My feelings are hurt.
:p

Although AddBlock does not remove the problem with such sites. Only reduces it. At least that is how it seems to me. Could be a perception problem?

Last edited:
I don't know about everyone else but I can't really complain about this site. Slowest time is about 1 min (that's probably my net). I visited this website from multi OS's and browsers and never had any problems. Mostly using chrome+adblocker.

Site is always fast for me, but I do use Adblock and I usually browse from my work laptop that has 16G RAM :D So maybe I'm not the best test subject.

I had the same problem very recently. Site's login was so slow I closed the browser numerous times rather than wait. I now run Puppy Slacko 5.7 and find it serves two purposes: it is quick, and it is so quick a lag lets me know something is happening. (There's a guy from UTC+8 that used to tout the virtues of Puppy. Haven't herd from him of late. I wonder what happened to him?)

It seems funny to a suspicious mind like mine that two ctitiquers of site policy are having the same problem. Maybe you won't see me very often on this site for a while. I do not care for the seeming sell-out to ubuntu and RH by staff and the cowardice of the Mods and owners for not addressing valid concerns of forum members regarding a sophomoric attempt to stifle Free Speech in the guise of maintaining 'family values.' It may not be worthwhile to contribute here any more.

I do not care for the seeming sell-out to ubuntu and RH by staff and the cowardice of the Mods and owners for not addressing valid concerns of forum members regarding a sophomoric attempt to stifle Free Speech in the guise of maintaining 'family values.' It may not be worthwhile to contribute here any more.
+1

Though I don't think it's exactly a "sell out", nor do I believe we're being deliberately sabotaged, but yes the staff deal with members wholly in the "customer services" ("them and us") fashion.

While this attitude prevails and while sub standard, ill researched articles like the Debian package management one are allowed to stay up for weeks on end, then this place is going nowhere fast...

I don't know... perhaps they're just out for ad revenue and the content is just padding - i.e. token stuff to just go through the motions of being a "Linux" site...

@CB - try noscript, that should block all of the extraneous crap - failing that you could go for requestpolicy...

linux.org sends cross site requests to:

facebook.com
gravatar.com
google-analytics.com
buysellads.com
twitter.com
google.com

Among others...

I need none of that shit, probably neither do you, so they're blocked here.

So yes, just block the ads/scripts/cross site requests or just live with it - those are the two options.

@Cyber-Berserker
I promised myself I would not reply to this once I saw it about 10 minutes after you posted it last night and I understand why you posted it but even much more surprised you did. However, I like you because you tell it like it is, I'm honest and direct too. (I'm working on being less direct though.)(However I am debating on drilling you right now.)--Want you to know it crossed my mind. ha

The issue: You created a post about this before. That guy Rob, or "root" in this case told you exactly how the site works and he did it honestly in a way it wouldn't hurt him or his marketing. I started to send you a PM on how to fix it then but I didnt want to sound arrogant. Or maybe I was pissed and wanted you to live with it. One will never know...

So I'm asking you to look back on your post and see if you can figure it out. I know you know what you're doing, therefore I know you can resolve it. It's a bit more than blocking an ad but yeah that key opens one lock. Just think in your paranoid ways.

This issue is controlled by the client. Yeah, I know how to fix it but I cant pass this up... ha

I will send you detailed instructions via PM tomorrow if you have not solved it. It's not .heart stopping yet.
@labrat I loved your reply earlier ;)

I assume it is because of all the advertisements and links to articles, but this site has always been slow; slow to load the site and slow to open pages. But it has recently gotten very bad. For the last week or so, it takes minutes to both load the site and open pages. Not a minute, but about five minutes. Often pages (threads) will not open. They freeze while loading. I assume the links and ads are at the centre of the problem, because Linux Questions is another site that is slow. The reason being all the advertisements. It is not a browser issue. I have more than one browser installed and they all experience slowness at LQ and linux.org. None of them have problems with any of the other sites I regularly visit. A little slowness is tolerable, but five minutes or more to open the site and another five minutes or more to open threads, not to mention re-opening threads because they froze while loading, is too long. If the situation does not improve soon, I shall have no choice but to stop visiting this site. Perhaps switch to phpBB? Band width too small? I hope the site's performance improves, but as it is, it is intolerably slow. My location may contribute to the problem. The signal may be slowed down while traversing the Great Firewall, but I do not experience that problem to this level anywhere else.

Any explanations, feedback, criticism, suggestions, prayers, curses in my direction are welcome.

Yesterday I configured Addblock to block links to Facebook, Twitter and other such crap. The site is quicker today. About the same speed as LQ. Slow but not a snail's pace. In other words, tolerable.

Yes, I realise that sites like this one will always be a little slow because of ads and links, but there is a difference between slow and so slow the site freezes. Yes, I ranted, but also pointed out something that could harm the site. I am sure I am not the only person that avoids sites that are too slow. There is also the possibility that high traffic levels occasionally slow the site. In which case it is good if management is aware of it. They can then invest in more band width if they so desire.
@Cyber-Berserker
(However I am debating on drilling you right now.)--Want you to know it crossed my mind. ha
Go ahead. I'm a big boy. I can take it.:)

No, No um did I say no!
You are a very liked person here, I like u at least, so figure it out big boy. Sucks being a beginner eh? Did u read what I wrote? I just re read what u wrote and want to request you send some to me. Kidding, I am pure and not interested. I'm dissapointed you have not figured it out. I didnt want to tant the site but look at your browser, how ur cookies are, how u allow info to be saved on ur local, def check ur flash settings, and how data is saved to your machine.
My head is not straight now so I will tell u tomorrow.

Yesterday I configured Addblock to block links to Facebook, Twitter and other such crap. The site is quicker today. About the same speed as LQ. Slow but not a snail's pace. In other words, tolerable.

Yes, I realise that sites like this one will always be a little slow because of ads and links, but there is a difference between slow and so slow the site freezes. Yes, I ranted, but also pointed out something that could harm the site. I am sure I am not the only person that avoids sites that are too slow. There is also the possibility that high traffic levels occasionally slow the site. In which case it is good if management is aware of it. They can then invest in more band width if they so desire.

Go ahead. I'm a big boy. I can take it.:)

(hint)

I haven't used adblock for years... not since the "acceptable ads" thing... yes you could turn it off, but that's beside the point - I then realised that I didn't need it.

I use a combination of requestpolicy and noscript - but you really only need one or the other. The former blocks cross site requests - in simple terms, the site you're viewing can be blocked from requesting the ads and you can easily set rules as to what cross site requests are allowed. The latter blocks all scripts until you allow them - you can allow scripts one at a time and then just build up your own whitelist.

It's allowing all scripts which is slowing everything down for you - this means that you're allowing every ad provider on the web free reign to run his CPU hungry, often flash based ads on your hardware.

Last edited:
ZZs: "You are a very liked person here . . ."

I certainly didn't say that! LMFAO

Cookies? Now I am disappointed.:(
Of course; I do not accept third-party cookies; whether for a single session or permanently, cookies from any site are accepted only if I allow it; I empty my cache every few days; etc.
And as I mentioned in the OP/rant, only two sites generate problems. I frequent several sites that have advertisements, but function at a normal pace.
It's allowing all scripts which is slowing everything down for you - this means that you're allowing every ad provider on the web free reign to run his CPU hungry, often flash based ads on your hardware.
Adblock set to block "intrusive" ads and links to so-called social media shit is enough for most sites. Everyone has different thinking patterns, but to my mind, if using one or two sites requires lots of configuration to the browser, those sites are not worth the trouble. The best way to describe my attitude concerning such things is; If you make it inconvenient for me, you do not want me. (A general description of my attitude, not a description of this site. If that makes sense.)

This site is quite a bit quicker today than yesterday. Yesterday was tolerable, but if today's performance could last I would be even happier. If the previous week's state were to return though ...

Adblock set to block "intrusive" ads and links to so-called social media shit is enough for most sites. Everyone has different thinking patterns, but to my mind, if using one or two sites requires lots of configuration to the browser, those sites are not worth the trouble.
This site works fine using requestpolicy with cross site requests denied and noscript on allow all. Once it's configured, you don't need to configure it again.

The best way to describe my attitude concerning such things is; If you make it inconvenient for me, you do not want me. (A general description of my attitude, not a description of this site. If that makes sense.)
Heh... well sites have to get some income from somewhere, otherwise they will go down the pan fairly quickly. The ads are there to support the site - this keeps the site up and running, those who dislike them can block them (using their preferred means) - result: everybody's happy...

The ads are there to support the site - this keeps the site up and running, those who dislike them can block them (using their preferred means) - result: everybody's happy...

True although I've seen more sites block their content if they detect Adblock running to try and force the user to accept ads. At this point I just use another site, not sure if NoScript is subject to the same stuff. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised if these plugin checks become more prevalent

Agreed, there are sites which try to force you to enable ads - I simply avoid those sites. This site doesn't do that.

This site works fast for me even when I'm accessing it from old computers. I don't think it has that many ads if compared with most of the www.

Oh please,
What a 10T error you're having. I hate those ID errors you're having especially when my clients have them. I make them write the error down so they never do it again. --Yeah way over your head.
Cookies - Please.. It got ya'll fired up at least.
Earlier I wrote to Debian requesting a solution for Cyber's security issue and asked them to create a non-specific browser fix. I recommended the following command.
#apt-get install fixmyfuxnbrowsernowcauseidkhow

I'm still waiting for a response.

Hopefully this will solve your issue and I can finally end the string of jokes that come to mind. :p

Cookies? Now I am disappointed.:(
Of course; I do not accept third-party cookies; whether for a single session or permanently, cookies from any site are accepted only if I allow it; I empty my cache every few days; etc.
And as I mentioned in the OP/rant, only two sites generate problems. I frequent several sites that have advertisements, but function at a normal pace.

Adblock set to block "intrusive" ads and links to so-called social media shit is enough for most sites. Everyone has different thinking patterns, but to my mind, if using one or two sites requires lots of configuration to the browser, those sites are not worth the trouble. The best way to describe my attitude concerning such things is; If you make it inconvenient for me, you do not want me. (A general description of my attitude, not a description of this site. If that makes sense.)

This site is quite a bit quicker today than yesterday. Yesterday was tolerable, but if today's performance could last I would be even happier. If the previous week's state were to return though ...

Just going to go on record that I am not having any issues on the site. Speed or otherwise.

Members online