Slackel reviewed on Distrowatch

wendy-lebaron

Reaction score
Credits

What I believe is Jesse does things on purpose. He could have used "SLI" instead of clunky "bash" script to install. What I think is that he was afraid to install it, even to some 64GB USB disk. He tried to enable persistence while "djemos" said a while ago that it doesn't work and he tried a long time to make it work but he ran into problems with his computer. Something about Slackware having a conflict with "glibc". I don't think the reviewer researched things before trying the distribution. "It is good to read the Slackel Handbook". There is also information on the distro's forum/site. I don't post the link because some of you are touchy about "HTTP" addresses and don't like setting your browser to upgrade to "HTTPS".

The drawback with using "SLI" is the disk has to be already set up, at least with ESP as head, "swap" as tail and "ext4" partition in between. The main partition probably doesn't have to be formatted but I don't know how to get GParted or other program to leave it "unformatted". For 32-bit Slackel just format the whole thing as "ext4". With confidence this could be installed on external pluggable disk, instead of begging for persistence.

Now I have to assume for the review, the operating system was installed somewhere. The reviewer claims to not be able to obtain sound, even from "full" installation. I wouldn't know how to fix that. I only know about "basic" installation now because it's what I chose first for 32-bit, then for 64-bit to back up somewhere just in case. :)

The review was very much needed. It's surprising because a while ago Zenwalk was reviewed.

LONG LIVE THE SLACK!

Members online

Latest posts