Simple instruction how to update packages that won't update automatically - distros with Synaptic

rado84

Reaction score
Credits
In the past few weeks I've been struggling how to update packages in my distro that wouldn't update automatically, for whatever reason. The curious thing is that none of these packages was blacklisted, so nothing should be obstructing the updating process.
In other forums and groups on Facebook I saw other users who had the same problem. Well, those whose distro uses Synaptic are now saved.
I'll use Cinnamon for this instruction, since the DE was the thing on my system that refused to autoupdate.

1. Open Synaptic.
2. In the search box type "cinnamon" without the quotes.
3. Carefully check the current version and the available version - better safe than sorry later.
4. If the available version is higher (meaning newer) than the current, usually the icon of the item is grey. That means the item is updatable. For convenience you can click once on the item in order to highlight it from the list.
5. Open Synaptic Settings and click on the marked box, then click "Apply" followed by OK.

synaptic-settings.png

6. Either open the "Package" menu from the menu bar and click on "Force version" or simply use the hotkey combination Ctrl+E (the package must be highlighted when you do either one). This will bring up a small dialog. Choose the latest version from the drop down menu and click the indicated button:

synaptic-forced-version.png

This will trigger an updating process. If the item you have just updated is Cinnamon, then you'll have to reboot the computer OR use the applet called "Restart Cinnamon" which I use.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts