Shut Down/Restart Button Pops on Without Initiating It.

Snort McDork

Reaction score
Credits
By that I mean I did not click on Menu button as if I wanted to Restart or Shut Down system.
I'll be watching a video or some other function and it just pops up out of no-where.
This concerns me why this is happening which is why I'm asking here.
What are your thoughts.

Attachments

• 0 0 0 nT_23970kszu50-the-big-i-am.jpg
    0 0 0 nT_23970kszu50-the-big-i-am.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 80

Which os/Linux are you running ?

Perhaps your system is set to shutdown after a certain time of inactivity; unfortunately, watching video without any physical input can also trigger it - check your 'power' settings....

I'm on Cinnamon 21, but I have another issue that is popping up: system shuts down without warning. Power drops out. Nada. I power back up and it runs again, but I'm suspecting either there is an issue with the board, or the power supply is going out. But seeing the shut down/restart button just pop up out of no where is weirdest thing I've seen. I'm a bit frustrated on this end because I do not know someone who is a tech, and who is familiar with this OS. I even was up at a community college and inquired to IT Dept, and they don't know anyone. I wish I knew someone who could come to my place that could help me sort out some of this stuff. Thinking of getting another box if there is serious issues with either board, or power supply. Have another old Win. 7 box w/o the hard drive that has power supply, but a electrician I'm not. I did put this HD in that box, but only got a blank screen. So I'm frustrated because I don't know how to resolve these issues on my own. I'm also disabled, so that add's to my misery. If you are in Oregon, I'd be willing to talk to you since I don't know what else to do.

Click on Menu

Type in power management

Click on Power Management

A smallish window should open....It will say ...Power Options...and then below that it will have :
Turn off the screen when active for...
Suspend when inactive for...

There will be a choice to click on at the end of both lines

Set them BOTH to NEVER

Below that it will say...Extra Options......set it to : Shut down Immediately

Here is a screenshot showing that:

1702814116414.png

Do that, and then see how things go. Let me know. I will be asleep for the next 7 or 8 hours but I will see your post when I wake up

I feel sure it is a setting....the setting I have described above will almost certainly be the culprit.

Older machine? I guess it wouldn't necessarily matter.

After you check the stuff mentioned by others, have a good hard look at your power button on the front of the case. I say that while looking at mine and wondering how in the world would I be able to check it for a short or even just sticking. But what you're saying sounds like how mine acts. When I click it, the shutdown/restart box pops up. If I hold it in, the system shuts down.

Just a thought.

@Snort McDork

If you are in Oregon,...

Mate, there is a LUG (Linux User Group) in Portland, if that is of any assistance?

Their page is

https://pdxlinux.org/

They have been around over 25 years, and have a meeting scheduled for January so they are still current.

They may be able to assist online, maybe even in person since you are disabled.

In part, they have this

PLUG Mailing Lists and IRC​

Between meetings, we converse on a number of mailing lists and IRC:

ALERT: The PLUG mailing list archives cannot be redacted. If you are unsure about what you are posting, do not post it.

irc.geekshed.net #pdxlinux

Next PLUG Meeting​

Where: TBD
When: Thursday, January 4th, 2024, 7pm-9pm
What: TBD

Hope this helps

Wizard

@Snort McDork

Mate, there is a LUG (Linux User Group) in Portland, if that is of any assistance?

Their page is

https://pdxlinux.org/

They have been around over 25 years, and have a meeting scheduled for January so they are still current.

They may be able to assist online, maybe even in person since you are disabled.

In part, they have this

Hope this helps

Wizard
Hey Thank You Wizard for the Info. I'm not in Portland (thankfully), but I will certainly try to contact them.
And I have a SOLVED problem I can update you on.
I mentioned above the "Power Drops Out" on it's own without warning. Well, I was desperate and took it to the Goodwill Tech people yesterday. Yes, they have a tech Dept. now. The guy that came out to me was really nice and hooked this thing up right away. He went to the BIOS menu and saw what the problem was: The Battery on the Motherboard was dead and was showing the date in 2011. That threw the clock off making the system refuse to run. So I got a $4 #2032 battery, popped it in and here we are!! So that issue is solved. Have not seen Shut Down button pop up yet, but I'm paying close attention to see if it does come up again. Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback.

Attachments

• 0.00 0.0-0 Screenshot from bobblehead kitties 2023-09-12 01-00-38.jpg
    0.00 0.0-0 Screenshot from bobblehead kitties 2023-09-12 01-00-38.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 72
And an addition to my above post. I'm on a new box-with my same hard-drive.
The battery was not totally the issue.
I took the other machine back to tech dude, and he called me the following day.
What really happened when he opened it up, the dude that built it in Texas (mailed it to me afterwards) did not properly secure the wiring over the fan that cooled the processor. They were not bundled properly. It was interfering with the fan prohibiting it from running to cool processor. So when it got too warm, it shut the system off completely. The tech guy (George, who knows Linux well) said he thought it was a sloppy job and could have been prevented. He also thought the motherboard was not suitable for this OS because it was old and slow. So I bought a new machine (he gave me a good deal), with a higher quality board, and better quad processor. It runs faster, quicker, and does not drag or hesitate like the other machine did. Plus he thought the fan that cooled the CPU was cheap and not efficient enough. But what did I know. I would have preferred it to run faster, but I don't have someone I know to come to my place to look at it in person. Would like to know someone to see this in person.

So as an FYI, if your system suddenly shuts down without you initiating it, it's the CPU over heating and telling you, "sorry it's too hot for me. I'm out of here". Check your CPU fan to make sure it's not obstructed by lose wiring. Hopefully you have a quality fan to cool it as well.
With that, a Happy New Year if you're keeping score at home.

Attachments

• xxx Screenshot_keybord kitty2022-12-24_22-40-34 (copy).jpg
    xxx Screenshot_keybord kitty2022-12-24_22-40-34 (copy).jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 59

Members online