Root used space has suddenly decreased from 97% to 57%.

Creemy

Reaction score
Credits
I use xubuntu(Focal Fossa). My root space had reached around 99% around the end of December. I use Anaconda, and an environment for using gravitational wave related packages, and also miktex console and texmaker. Since I wanted to reduce root space, I removed zoom and R base core, and purged stellarium. . Anaconda and others seem to be mounted in /home. Anyway I used autoclean and some var related command and ended up having space available up to 97%, which was fine for the moment.
I also downloaded bleachbit, and had my computer cleaned except for passwords, localization, and memory sectors( didn't do bash and deep clean). After it was done I think a large chunk of my /home partition was gone, mostly due to deleting trash, I think, but I think the root was still 97% available.
I had resized root before to make it 24 GB appx. from 12 GB. Now it was around 23 GB(97%) .I had procrastinated resizing it until today. I don't clearly recall what I saw a week ago, when I opened my laptop again, but I think it was still 97% used(that's the impression I have had until now). And when I finally decided to resize it today, I see that root size has reduced to 57 %(used), and home to 35% (it was around 76% before or more (due to trash)).
I have done nothing but rearranged the folders in my desktop and deleted a few document files, and one video the past week. It looks cleaner that's it.
So what happened to all that root space? Was it bleachbit? Can I see what files bleach bit deleted in root partition to make that much space available?

Last edited:

I use xubuntu(Focal Fossa). My root space had reached around 99% around the end of December. I use Anaconda, and an environment for using gravitational wave related packages, and also miktex console and texmaker. Since I wanted to reduce root space, I removed zoom and R base core, and purged stellarium. . Anaconda and others seem to be mounted in /home. Anyway I used autoclean and some var related command and ended up having space available up to 97%, which was fine for the moment.
I also downloaded bleachbit, and had my computer cleaned except for passwords, localization, and memory sectors( didn't do bash and deep clean). After it was done I think a large chunk of my /home partition was gone, mostly due to deleting trash, I think, but I think the root was still 97% available.
I had resized root before to make it 24 GB appx. from 12 GB. Now it was around 23 GB(97%) .I had procrastinated resizing it until today. I don't clearly recall what I saw a week ago, when I opened my laptop again, but I think it was still 97% used(that's the impression I have had until now). And when I finally decided to resize it today, I see that root size has reduced to 57 %(used), and home to 35% (it was around 76% before or more (due to trash)).
I have done nothing but rearranged the folders in my desktop and deleted a few document files, and one video the past week. It looks cleaner that's it.
So what happened to all that root space? Was it bleachbit? Can I see what files bleach bit deleted in root partition to make that much space available?
I don't know for sure about bleachbit. But if it deleted old kernels and the header files that could account for a big chunk of space. Also some systemd log files can get quite big.

word of advice. Don't use bleachbit. end advice.

I'd add to that.

Don't use Bleachbit or any other software added from outside your Repositories, without having a current Timeshift snapshot safely stored.

Cheers and welcome to the site

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Staff online

Members online