Retro Ick...MEH

Mike13Foxtrot

Reaction score
Credits
So the little retro build, been working on has had it's share of problems. First ABIT Socket A Athlon MB, the socket was toast and toasted the CPU. Turned on power, POP blew a transistor surrounding the die. Had another Socket A MB Gigabyte, no power at all, caps look bad. On a shelf in the basement was the ABIT MB box, grabbed it to toss as the ABIT is bad, Inside was a brand new SOYO MB Socket A which also had the extra 4 pin CPU power plug. This MB was brand new in the bag. Never used it, it would seem. Got Boot into BIOS, then more problems. Not one single Linux Distro would install. From Puppy, to Suse, to Peppermint, no matter what 32 bit ISO I used some would get farther along then others.

Ended up having to install DOS, then Win95, then Upgrading that to 98SE. So we has a working retro, I am gonna dig thru some boxes of old CD/DVD's as I know I have Some old Live CD's of Distro's. I had actually Dual booted when I had 98SE, years ago.

I think the problem is the ISO's are maintained, but I think the Archiving of them also may include newer versions. Even went on INT Archive and grabbed some, nada. First Distro I installed on a PC was the old RED HAT. Pentium III system in '98, actually got the CD in the Linux for Dummies Book. Once I got bit by the bug, The next PC I always had a version of Linux running on a system, either separate or Dual Booting.

This image worked for just DOS has 95 and 95 for workgroups, and 98SE https://archive.org/details/CDAIO. Got 95 installed from this then Used my Old 98SE CD to upgrade, instead of using the one on the CDAIO. I may install DOS then try to install Linux from there.

Members online