Rebuilding computer tomorrow at work

S

Sean_

I'm rebuilding my primary computer at work tomorrow. Currently, it has Windows 7. I would like to replace the main system with either Linux or Unix, although I would like to be able to run a fully operational Windows as a VM within that. Any recommendations on which Linux or Unix to go with?

I'm a big fan of Slackware and OpenBSD, although also like Solaris. Then again, the company uses Ubuntu for some of the servers, so there's the option of going with that or Debian. I'm in a systems administrator role, dealing mostly with networking topics, although am hoping to lean more toward the security side, or at least network-security.

Ultimately, I need to continue to be able to do things across the network, like with accessing and working with servers, which include Windows Servers 2003, 2008, 2012, and Ubuntu Servers.

I'm going to install Windows 7, 8, or 10 as a VM, I'd like to avoid multi-boot, but need to access the full Windows OS in case there's a proprietary need or if someone else needs to use the machine, they'll have something they're familiar with. In addition to thoughts on *nix choices, any suggestions for VM software?

Thanks! :)

Hi,

CentOS has SELinux and its GUI config tool by default, starting from version 7 it also has GNOME Boxes but I also they introduced systemd which maybe a drawback if you used to use traditional UNIXes. Support for the sixth version ends in 2020 and in 2017 for the fifth. So I would recommend CentOS 6 with QEMU and GNOME 2.

There won't be big differences between Debian (Debian 6 still has 2.6 kernel, GNOME 2 and no systemd as well, but the extended support ends in February next year), Slackware and OpenBSD, even from the admin perspective.

May God be with you using Windows Server 2003 since updates are discontinued.

Maybe we shouldn't open that particlar can of worms? ;)

@Sean_ I think any distribution you are comfortable with will work as long as its current. As for VM software, QEMU with Gnome boxes is very good. Oracle's Virtualbox is also very good on Linux. The BSDs have Bhyve which is a hypervisor although it only supports BSD and Linux guests. In the future I think it will be a must-have for virtual machine infrastructures.

Maybe we shouldn't open that particlar can of worms? ;)

I use systemd. Works fine for me. Just wondered if I need to get a tin foil hat or something?

May God be with you using Windows Server 2003 since updates are discontinued.
The company is gradually replacing old with new or less old but only on an as-needed basis. A couple SQL servers were swapped out for Win.Server 2012. There are a couple other '12s out there on the company's network. A handful of 2008s. Otherwise, a whole lotta 2003s. The '12s, however, are also functioning as VM hosts, which are quickly accumulating new or replacement servers within them, which are mostly running '03 or '08.

I think any distribution you are comfortable with will work as long as its current. As for VM software, QEMU with Gnome boxes is very good. Oracle's Virtualbox is also very good on Linux.
I'll give QEMU a go. I've used both but it's been a while. Last I remember, Oracle's simple but seemed to have limitations.

The BSDs have Bhyve which is a hypervisor although it only supports BSD and Linux guests. In the future I think it will be a must-have for virtual machine infrastructures.
I look forward to the day BSD (or SysV) supports hosting Windows VMs. I would rather run Unix as my main workstation, but am going the Linux route for now.

Thanks for the input everybody.

Last edited:
I use systemd. Works fine for me. Just wondered if I need to get a tin foil hat or something?
I'm referring to the on-going SystemD vs SysV debate which has spawned flame wars on multiple forums(and a couple on this forum). ;) I use SystemD as well. :D

you can use a os loader, i suggest you to make a main part* named boot (500mib) for boot loader, then install you os into non-main *part. if you use uefi or ia-64 main board, you also can use guid(gpi).

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts