Random freezes in Kubuntu 22.04 + AMD Radeon RX6700XT + AMD Ryzen 7700X CPU

Pacmack

Reaction score
Credits
Title says. I suspect KDE Plasmashell randomly freezes which forces me to reboot/logout my system which is very annoying as I need a stable workstation.
How could I find out what exactly is causing the random freezes of PC (It has 64gb of ram and a very good CPU/motherboard) so it's not a matter of resources whatsoever.
I am convinced it's KDE Plasmashell freezing, where do I start to troubleshoot the problem?

is this a new issue or something that has happened since install? is this a newer system that may benefit from a newer kernel? if you can or have tried booting any other distro (even live) do you run into the same problem?

you could start trying to troubleshoot by looking at logs (typically in
/var/log) or the system journal. i don't know if kubuntu has a native log viewer. you could try using journalctl: https://www.thegeekdiary.com/beginn...urnalctl-to-view-and-manipulate-systemd-logs/

where do I start to troubleshoot the problem?
You could check that your graphics card has both the driver and the firmware that it needs and that your system is up to date with all the microcode it needs.

You could run the following to see if the system thinks it's missing anything:
Code:
dmesg | grep -i firmware
dmesg | grep -i microcode

and for a general look-see for errors:

Code:
journalctl -b -x -p 3

If you run the following it will provide info on the graphics card and it's driver:
Code:
inxi -Gxx

Members online