Questions about Kali Linux

• Thread starter Evolutionarysleeper
  • Start date
E

Evolutionarysleeper

If i say anything that doesnt make sense please correct me and try to fill me in on my misunderstandings (sure you can laugh) as im a complete beginner

So i tried burning the ISO of full kali linux (32bit) and nothing would happen when i booted from the cd drive, just a black screen, then shortly it would follow through to HDD boot.

I was pretty frustrated so i just burnt a new disk of MINI kali linux. Tried the same thing, and voila i get the install kali screen. So i proceed to install it, with some trouble being a complete beginner to linux. But anyways i finally get it set up.

Now ive been searching everywhere as i encounter problems and the odd time there will be a few answers but they usually dont work.

I cant even find what the difference between kali mini and full is. Im assuming mini is the base interface with nothing extra. If thats true Is it possible to just download all the extra packages until my linux is basically the same as the full? Or do i have to actually download the full? which i would have if it worked..

Im using an oldish toshiba laptop BTW. Some one told me "overthewireorg" is a good place to start, but literally on level 0 it asks me for the password, i type bandit0, then i get permission denied? i dont understand it at all.

and i constantly see people with there directory thing like "root@kali~$" with the $ sign? is that just a directory they changed to or is there somthing im missing?

ugh so many questions, basically i want to know how to tell forsure if i have everything setup right? Is there some command you can run that does this?

thanks for your time

"The Kali mini ISO is a convenient way to install a minimal Kali system and install it “from scratch”. The mini install ISO wi.ll download all required packages from our repositories, meaning you need to have a fast Internet connection to use this installation method."

Some distros supply a mini version so you get a small download and can add what you want.

Yeah ive read that before. But when it says install it from scratch, does that mean install kali minis base interface by scratch, or once you have kali mini installed, that you can basically install kali linux (full) from scratch

I guess another question i should be asking is, where can i find a list of things to do/download so that the kali mini installed is identical to kali full...

So when i look up guides and whatnot im not confused as hell because certain things arent working, most likely because im missing some program that comes with the full version.

Hello Evolutionarysleeper, I couldn't help grinning when I read your post because I am now running Kali on my wife's old Toshiba laptop.

Regardless, I am assuming this is the only OS you have running on the laptop. I'm doing that and I chose the normal install, I downloaded the Kali Linux 64bit from the Kali Download page and created the boot disc.
Granted, this ISO is 3.2GB whereas the Mini is 28MB but this way you'll not worry about missing something, no?

Oh, there are other sites I suppose but I'd download the ISO from the Kali Downloads Page (sorry, no link because I'm a new user and not allowed yet)

With this method, you can set your BIOS to boot from the .iso disc and I've had the best luck choosing either the Graphic Install or the Install right above it. I'd recommend the Install instead of the Graphic Install just in case because I've read about some users having mouse problems with this method. The regular Install is pretty straightforward.

Also, I'd choose the default partition setup with everything on one partition. The Install recommends it for new users and you can always reinstall later when you are more familiar with partitions, etc.

Once everything is installed you can run these commands from the command prompt using the Terminal:

apt-get clean

apt-get update

apt-get upgrade -y

and finally apt-get dist-upgrade -y

The first three commands clean, update, and upgrade all the installed packages obviously and the last one does the same for the Kali Distribution itself.

Ok, I suppose I should have put this at the top but have you gone to the Kali Documentation page? They have a Getting Started Section, etc. It is a bit of reading but they have a lot if info that could help you.

I can't put links here yet...new user and all. The Kali homepage has a link to the Documentation up at the top left.

The last thing I'd do were I you, fix the repository list. You should edit:

Note: I just deleted a whole section I had here on adding two repositories to your /etc/apt/sources.list file but I can't post links and there was no way to bypass that and have what I wrote make any sense. Sorry. I left the last paragraph because it might still help you.

There are sites titled 10 things to do after installing Kali Linux or some such, you can search or google them. They list repositories, etc. The main reason I added these repositories was because the default ones didn't have a particular eMail Client I like to use sometimes. You might choose not to add them however because you might not want to keep your Kali Install lean, especially if you went from the Mini Install at 28 MB all the way up to the 3.2 GB regular install. It is up to you, I just wanted you to know it isn't required. I do it because there are many packages there I take advantage of from time to time.

Sorry for the mess all, I had to do some serious chopping and cutting when I tried to post and the no links rule kicked in. :)