Question re: running Renpy on Linux?

Nao57

Reaction score
Credits
So I tried to install the renpy program from the software manager to be able to run Renpy games on Linux. There's a renpy program for Linux. So it should work.

It should... work... .?

The program is there and is reviewed at 4.0. Its working for most people. But when I try to install it, every single time it gives an error halfway through.

Is it possible there's other prerequisite programs you need installed first on Linux, before you can install the Linux renpy game running app? And if so what and which order?

For reference I was running latest Mint 21 installation. I'm not a programmer also, so doing code probably wouldn't work for me. But I do like Linux as Windows just kept getting worse and worse every year.

Thanks.

So I tried to install the renpy program from the software manager to be able to run Renpy games on Linux. There's a renpy program for Linux. So it should work.

It should... work... .?

The program is there and is reviewed at 4.0. Its working for most people. But when I try to install it, every single time it gives an error halfway through.

Is it possible there's other prerequisite programs you need installed first on Linux, before you can install the Linux renpy game running app? And if so what and which order?

For reference I was running latest Mint 21 installation. I'm not a programmer also, so doing code probably wouldn't work for me. But I do like Linux as Windows just kept getting worse and worse every year.

Thanks.
Whoa, dude! Installing Renpy on Linux should be a breeze, but it sounds like you're hitting some roadblocks. No worries, though! Let's see if we can get you up and running.

First off, it's great to hear that you're diggin' Linux. It's an awesome OS, far outperforming Windows in many ways.

Now, regarding your Renpy installation issue, it's possible that you may need to install some prerequisite programs before running the installation. Typically, these dependencies are taken care of by the package manager, but sometimes things can go astray.

To troubleshoot, try opening up a terminal and running the following command:

Code:
sudo apt-get install renpy

This will attempt to install Renpy and any missing dependencies. If it fails, it'll let you know what's missing.

If you're not into the whole command line thing, you can also try installing Renpy using a different package manager like Synaptic. Just search for "renpy" and give it a shot.

If all else fails, you can download the Renpy package directly from their website (https://www.renpy.org) and follow their installation instructions. It might require a bit more technical know-how, but it's worth a shot.

Hang ten, my friend! Let me know if any of these suggestions work for you.

So... I keep getting the same error. But I just remembered that yesterday the computer froze up while I was installing something else. But I can't remember what that was. I wonder if something else getting bugged up could have then caused today's problems with not letting me install renpy?

But I'm not sure how to do something like try to get the computer in Linux to show me everything installed the last 2 days, and then go back and try to reinstall clean installs of those first? Is there a way to do this?

So... I keep getting the same error. But I just remembered that yesterday the computer froze up while I was installing something else. But I can't remember what that was. I wonder if something else getting bugged up could have then caused today's problems with not letting me install renpy?

But I'm not sure how to do something like try to get the computer in Linux to show me everything installed the last 2 days, and then go back and try to reinstall clean installs of those first? Is there a way to do this?
Bummer, dude! It's possible that the freeze-up could have messed with your system and caused some issues with the Renpy installation. We gotta get your system back on track!

To figure out what was installed recently, you can check the package manager's logs. In Linux Mint, you can find these logs at /var/log/apt/. Specifically, look for the history.log file. This file should contain a list of all package installations and updates, including the ones from the last couple of days.

Open up a terminal and run the following command to view the log:

Code:
cat /var/log/apt/history.log

This will display the recent package installations and updates. Take a look and try to identify any suspicious installations or errors that might have occurred. It's possible that whatever caused the freeze-up could be right there in the log.

Once you've identified the problematic installation, you can try doing a clean reinstall of that package. To do this, use the apt-get or apt command with the --reinstall flag, like this:

Code:
sudo apt-get --reinstall install <package-name>

Replace <package-name> with the package you want to reinstall. This will reinstall the package and its dependencies, hopefully resolving any issues caused by the previous installation.

Remember, dude, backups are crucial! So make sure you have your important files backed up just in case something goes awry.

Good luck, and may the Linux vibes be with you!

Thank you very much! I 'think' it got worked out with your help (fingers crossed). I'll probably need another day to be sure.

Also, I'm amazed how the community feel is here! people really help each other. Its amazing! But if I'd been on like youtube or a windows forum probably about half the responses might be mocking or telling someone to screw off. This is so different! Way better experience.

Thank you very much! I 'think' it got worked out with your help (fingers crossed). I'll probably need another day to be sure.

Also, I'm amazed how the community feel is here! people really help each other. Its amazing! But if I'd been on like youtube or a windows forum probably about half the responses might be mocking or telling someone to screw off. This is so different! Way better experience.
You're welcome, dude! I'm stoked to hear that things are looking up with your Renpy installation. Keep those fingers crossed and give it some time to make sure everything's smooth sailing.

You're right on the money, my friend! The Linux community is like a tight-knit tribe, always ready to lend a hand and spread the love. We believe in the power of collaboration and open-source awesomeness. It's all about building each other up and making the Linux experience even more rad!

In contrast, some other online communities can be a real bummer, full of negativity. But hey, we choose to ride the Linux wave coz it's all about that positive vibe. Ain't nobody got time for haters, right?

Remember, dude, if you ever need a hand or have more questions, just swing by. We'll be here, ready to assist you and keep that good karma flowing.

Stay stoked, keep exploring, and keep enjoying Linux to the max!

Members online