Problems with Samba shares on a mixed network with kubuntu and win10 devices

DevelOpsMan

Reaction score
Credits
Hello community,

0. The main problem
On a samba share, an example folder "movies" with the files "movie1.mkv", "movie2.mkv" and "movie3.mkv" with 100% same rights every network user can open and watch movie1 and movie2 but not movie3. Local users can access all 3 files. Copying a file to remote local makes the file accessible to, so they are not broken.

1. Short story
I was trying to establish some networks shares for internal use of the family. The goal is with end of support of Win10, I'll move to kubuntu. This will only happen, if everything works.
The only working machine and profiles are the win accounts. The linux users have issues opening files (in vlc for example).
Maybe uncommon for linux, but I like to keep my windows share feeling is to have data disks and folders for multiusers and share them in networks. I don't want special network folders, means I share the whole data folder, no special network folders in addition. We want to see fam pictures and movies on TV, and share them to edit and sort from a real workspace. (File editing and such stuff is not comfortable from couch and TV.) So I'm fitter in Windows programming and administration as on linux out of a webserver.

Currently it works for most of the files and we also can backup files, but some files can't be opened for no obviously reason.

-----

The network is simplified to this:

I have a "server" with services,
a multimedia server/client and
a few win10 and kubuntu clients. To sync and distribute files it is necessary to get access to all machines' shared folders. SSH console management only is not an option (for consumer users).

In addition I have the users multimedia, fammember1, fammember2,...

If necessary or not, I created all users and groups on all kubuntu machines. The Win machines just have fammemberX accounts.
As the computers are used as servers and clients I have some folders for internal use and share them with samba in the network. Frequently I change the permissions of the folders with (sudo)
chown fammember1 -R
chgrp family -R
chmod 0775 -R
I already solved the problems with booted disks, that sometimes the servers mounts the disks with root:root. Does it really matter with samba overwritten perms out of local?

The multimedia user is NOT part of the family, its an account for multimedia content and guest to play games or watch streams (like tv and game console).

The smb.conf looks like this. As I will write later the config works, but not for every file??

[Multimedia]
comment = Multimedia
path = /mnt/multimedia
browseable = yes
public = yes
admin users = fammember1
write list = @family
read list = multimedia
force create mask = 0775
(maybe some doubled entries)

If something wrong with this. I tested a lot of other different combinations of read only, writeable, force X and U, instead of group single members, with tons of restarts to get shure. Maybe you find something that fits.
All in all I meant that the changes shouldn't have impact like read only = yes === writeable = no.

5. When the machines formerly all were Win machines, I had disks with NTFS file system. I know that they lack linux acl, so I converted the server disks to ext4. I took me days to backup the files. And in the end I got the same errors for the linux users.

I guess it is a right management problem. Copying the files to local can open and edit the files. Win10 users can use them like on a win machine (rwx).

6. Maybe its a wrong configuration, but I want to use the machines like win users did it before. Its also easier for my family. That means I have multiusers on the machines and shared internal folders. Family members can rwx files there, the multimedia user is for guests or kids, what means, should on r-x. Family members are in the group family, multimedia is not. As I understand it runs under "others" (0775 rights). On the multimedia machine it works fine, everybody can consume media, personal family areas are hidden for multimedia/guests.

7. I already had a chat with ChatGTP, but the program just copied out the manual from the ubuntu page for samba and we came to the same solutions I already tested. So there were no additional hints.

Basically samba is a nobrainer for me, I thought. Fammember1, Fammember2 and multimedia see the shared folders on the network and can acces them. BUT lets take a folder movies with movie1, movie2, movie3. Their accessibility is 0775 and ownership is fammmember1, group family. Movie1 and movie2 can be opened to watch, but not movie3. When I copy the file to the local machine I works, so the file is not broken.

I'm at the end of my wisdom, thats's confusing me.
Is this configuration duable? For me its a setting to really change permanently from win when it works and I can adapt it for other fam members too.

Last edited:

not sure if it helps. My setup does exactly what you seem to want. I have a dedicated machine with fedora 38 as a server using samba. Users do not have to be on the local machines. I have one network user setup that is connected in the FStab file on each of a dozen windows or linux computers. The permissions on the files being the same you should not have issue accessing just a single one like you are. Check ownership while it should not matter you can never tell.

From the sounds of it you are ok and have it set up right.
you may try taking the offending file off the system entirely. count to 10 and copy it back. Should make no difference but that is how I fix problems that make no sense. Usually works.

For good measure I would remove the accounts on the local computers and leave the network accounts on the server only. use the credentials when you connect or mount from the stations.

Members online

Latest posts