Problem getting Slack bootable

Tom1973

Reaction score
Credits
I'm a bit of a noob and this really confuses me. I'm trying to installs slax on my usb, i've copied the /slax folder to the root of my usb and i'm trying to run bootinst.sh
however whenever i run it, as root or normal i just get permission denied. I've tried chmod but i'm not sure if it has done anything (i used chmod +x /media/tom/69eb-e037/slax/boot/bootinst.sh) Please help

i used chmod +x /media/tom/69eb-e037/slax/boot/bootinst.sh
One way would be to insert the USB into a Windows machine and run the .bat file instead. But if running from Linux, I think you need to go into the /slax/boot/ folder first. Then, as root, run chmod +x bootinst.sh and then run ./bootinst.sh. It's been awhile, but I think that's the way. If not, I'll download and try it out later. Good luck.

Okay, give me a minute....

Well, I forgot to chmod +x while the USB was still formatted as FAT32, and I reformatted to ext4. If you want to follow the same steps, the ext4 format is a little better because it does not have the 4GB limitation of FAT32... meaning you can use the entire size of the USB for Slax.

So, this is what I did...

1. Format USB to ext 4
2. Copy the /slax/ folder to the USB (you may need to do this as root)
3. Go into the /slax/boot/ folder
4. As root, run chmod +x bootinst.sh
5. Still as root, run ./bootinst.sh
6. This will open a new mini-terminal window... wait until it completes (It will say, Press Enter)

Be sure to include the "./" prefix when running ./bootinst.sh

That should work. Good luck.

Last edited:
Another update...

If you want to leave the USB at FAT32, you can but you'll have the 4GB limit. And the solution then is quite simple: use bootinst.bat instead of bootinst.sh.

As root:
1. chmod +x bootinst.bat
2. ./bootinst.bat

This just worked for me too.

Well, I forgot to chmod +x while the USB was still formatted as FAT32, and I reformatted to ext4. If you want to follow the same steps, the ext4 format is a little better because it does not have the 4GB limitation of FAT32... meaning you can use the entire size of the USB for Slax.

So, this is what I did...

1. Format USB to ext 4
2. Copy the /slax/ folder to the USB (you may need to do this as root)
3. Go into the /slax/boot/ folder
4. As root, run chmod +x bootinst.sh
5. Still as root, run ./bootinst.sh
6. This will open a new mini-terminal window... wait until it complees (It will say, Press Enter)

Be sure to include the "./" prefix when running ./bootinst.sh

That should work. Good luck.
Thank you this worked!

Great, glad you got it going. I like Slax but haven't used it in awhile. Sadly, it does not get updated very frequently, but it is a very nice portable Linux. Enjoy!

Members online

Latest posts