Problem finding correct IP

B

Brandon Doyle

I'm sorry for asking such a "dumb" question, but it seems as though I cannot find the correct IP address to send my domain to. I have bjd2385.com but instead of taking it to my site it sends it to another (where it requires you to sign in, which isn't mine). I've gone to Google and typed in "what is my IP" and of course it tells me. But I don't think this is the right one. What am I doing wrong? The IP of it on my home network follows the typical 192.168.X.X, but I'm not sure what my IP should be for others to find it. I'm using Godaddy's DNS to point toward my server. How do I find its correct IP?

Brandon Doyle

The 192.168.X.X is your local address assigned by the router. To get your 'outside' ip
Code:
wget -qO- ifconfig.me/ip

Good luck ;)

I'm sorry for asking such a "dumb" question, but it seems as though I cannot find the correct IP address to send my domain to. I have bjd2385.com but instead of taking it to my site it sends it to another (where it requires you to sign in, which isn't mine). I've gone to Google and typed in "what is my IP" and of course it tells me. But I don't think this is the right one. What am I doing wrong? The IP of it on my home network follows the typical 192.168.X.X, but I'm not sure what my IP should be for others to find it. I'm using Godaddy's DNS to point toward my server. How do I find its correct IP?

Brandon Doyle
Do you have a static IP? Unfortunately if you do not, a Godaddy domain will not do you any good. If you have a dynamic IP address, consider No-IP. It will constantly connect to the No-IP servers to ensure the domain points to the correct IP.
http://www.noip.com/support/knowledgebase/what-is-a-dynamic-ip-address/

The 192.168.X.X is your local address assigned by the router. To get your 'outside' ip
Code:
wget -qO- ifconfig.me/ip

Good luck ;)

I tried this and unfortunately it didn't work. I tested my parents' home router with www.canyouseeme.org and it told me that the ports weren't open after setting Godaddy to the domain I saw pointed toward my server. After running a few commands to check the router to see if it's configured with open 80/22/21/443 ports etc. I came up empty, however there's always the possibility that I'm doing something wrong. I'll wait until I get back to RIT in a few weeks and try to set it up there. I never came up against this problem last spring semester.

Brandon Doyle

Staff online

Members online