Solved printer troubleshooting

Solved issue

CataclysmicGentleman

Reaction score
Credits
hey tuxbot, im using LMDE5 and im trying to connect to a cannon printer. i am running into an error "client-error-not-found"

hey tuxbot, im using LMDE5 and im trying to connect to a cannon printer. i am running into an error "client-error-not-found"
Hey there, dude! Bummer about the error you're facing while trying to connect your Cannon printer. The "client-error-not-found" message usually indicates that the system can't find the printer you're trying to connect to.

To troubleshoot this, here's what you can do:

1. Start by making sure your printer is powered on and connected to your LMDE5 machine correctly. Double-check those cables, man!

2. Next, open up a terminal and type the following command to install the necessary printer driver:

Code:
   sudo apt-get install printer-driver-cups-pdf

3. After the driver is installed, you might need to restart the CUPS service to make sure everything's working fine. You can do this by running:

Code:
   sudo service cups restart

4. Once the CUPS service restarts, try accessing the printer settings from the System Settings menu or use the following command:

Code:
   system-config-printer

5. In the printer settings, click on the "Add" button and follow the on-screen instructions to add your printer. Make sure to select the correct make and model of your Cannon printer.

6. If you're still facing issues, try uninstalling and reinstalling the printer driver using the package manager. Remove the driver with:

Code:
   sudo apt-get remove printer-driver-cups-pdf

Then, reinstall it with:

Code:
   sudo apt-get install printer-driver-cups-pdf

7. Finally, reboot your computer and try adding the printer again.

Hopefully, these steps will help you connect your Cannon printer without any hassle. Good luck, and keep on printing!

another question, one user at reddit said this "I was able to work around the problem by setting up the printer using the CUPS web interface. I pointed my browser at localhost:631, which gave me the web interface. Then selected "Adding Printers and Classes", then "Add Printer"." however when i go to this page and try to add a printer it asks for a username and password, however there is no option to create an account. i feel quite lost as to what im supposed to do.

another question, one user at reddit said this "I was able to work around the problem by setting up the printer using the CUPS web interface. I pointed my browser at localhost:631, which gave me the web interface. Then selected "Adding Printers and Classes", then "Add Printer"." however when i go to this page and try to add a printer it asks for a username and password, however there is no option to create an account. i feel quite lost as to what im supposed to do.
Dude, that's a great workaround! The CUPS web interface is a handy tool for managing printers. When it's asking for a username and password, it's actually the authentication for your system.

To access it and add your printer, follow these steps:

1. Open up your web browser and type in "localhost:631" in the address bar. Hit enter, and you should be directed to the CUPS web interface.

2. On the login page, enter your system username and password that you use to log in to your LMDE5 machine. This is not a separate account; it's your existing account on your system.

3. After logging in, you should see the CUPS web interface. From here, click on "Adding Printers and Classes".

4. Then, select "Add Printer" to start the printer setup process.

5. Follow the on-screen instructions to add your printer, selecting the appropriate make and model. Make sure to go through all the settings and confirm them for your printer.

6. Once you've completed the setup process, CUPS should recognize and configure your Cannon printer.

If you're not able to log in or encountering a login issue, it could be due to a configuration problem. Make sure you have administrative privileges on your LMDE5 machine. You may want to check your user account settings or consult with the system administrator.

Hang in there, my friend! You'll get it sorted and be printing waves in no time!

I have a Canon TS-3120 I got it working by installing cups-backend-bjnp, which is available Synaptic Package Manager

I have a Canon TS-3120 I got it working by installing cups-backend-bjnp, which is available Synaptic Package Manager
Right on, dude! Installing the cups-backend-bjnp package was a solid move to get your Canon TS-3120 working. The bjnp backend provides support for Canon printers over the network using the BJNP protocol.

Synaptic Package Manager is a rad tool for managing software packages on Debian-based distros like LMDE5. It makes it super easy to find and install packages.

For anyone else looking to get their Canon printer working, here's how to do it:

1. Open up Synaptic Package Manager on your LMDE5 machine. You can usually find it in the System menu.

2. Once Synaptic is open, use the search feature to search for cups-backend-bjnp.

3. When you find the cups-backend-bjnp package, select it and click on the "Mark for installation" option.

4. Hit the Apply button to start the installation process. Synaptic will take care of fetching and installing the package for you.

5. After the installation is complete, you can close Synaptic. The bjnp backend should now be available for CUPS to use.

Now you can go ahead and follow the steps I mentioned earlier to access the CUPS web interface and add your Canon TS-3120 printer. Hopefully, everything will work like a charm, and you'll be printing those stoke-worthy documents!

Keep on shredding those Linux waves, my friend!

i went into printer settings and allowed remote admin and then went to localhost:631 and added my printer and it works fine now.

i went into printer settings and allowed remote admin and then went to localhost:631 and added my printer and it works fine now.
That's awesome news, dude! Stoked to hear that you got it all sorted out now. Enabling remote admin in the printer settings and adding your printer through the CUPS web interface on localhost:631 was a smart move.

By allowing remote administration, you give yourself the freedom to manage your printer settings and configurations from any machine on your network, which can be super handy.

Now that your printer is up and running smoothly, you can go ahead and start printing all your rad stuff without any issues. If you ever need to make changes or fine-tune your printer settings in the future, just hit up the CUPS web interface at localhost:631.

Thanks for sharing your solution, my friend. Keep enjoying your Linux experience and keep those good vibes flowing!

Members online