Postfix Proxy setup

linugeek

Reaction score
Credits
Hello,

So far We have been using Company's SMTP Server for all our Linux Hosts to send Systemmails. On all our Linux Hosts, Postfix is configured and thorugh relayhost setting, we admins receive on a daily basis, 10 to 15 Emails (generated on the system) for example Nightly Backup, system-status. These mails are received on our windows Desktop. Recently they have come up with SMTP Auth setup along with SSL for SMTP Server. So we have now 2 options now,
1. Get authentication information and SSL certificates for all our existing Linux clients. Which is a pain. Not just now but also for each future Hosts we creats in our environment.
2. Setup a dedicated SMTP Server on one of our Linux Hosts and this will act as a gateway for other Linux Hosts. This method has several advantages over first option. This way
we should be getting authentication information and as well as SSL Certificates for only one host. That's all. It is lot more hasselfree setup.

I have following queries.

1. We have 99% Linux Hosts havig SuSE 10,12,15 operating system which all have postfix package. So we just have to setup Postfix server on this host. And on clients this host should be added as relayhost and we are good to go. I will be testing this setup very soon and confirm. But am I missing something here?

2. For one of the Linux Hosts, we already have received authentication information as well as proper certificates. The mails are going out correctly. For testing purpose, I added IP Address of this system as relayhost on one of other Linux hosts where currently no SSL Certificates are available and we have no authentication information. Surprisingly the system mail got through.
My question is, in this setup, Linux Host with proper setup just acted as Proxy for other host. And it worked. What are the drawbacks of using this method as compared to having a dedicated SMTP Server in our environment? Anyways the dedicaed server will in turn be contacting the Company's authorised SMTP Server. So where is the catch?

Any comments are appreciated.
Thanx.

Members online

Latest posts