Ping no longer works

fixit7

Member
This used to work. It pings my internet provider.

ping 47.182.239.232 -c 1
PING 47.182.239.232 (47.182.239.232) 56(84) bytes of data.

--- 47.182.239.232 ping statistics ---
1 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 0ms

UFW is turned off.

I tried this as well followed by a reboot.

Add the following to the /etc/ufw/before.rules file:

# allow outbound icmp
-A ufw-before-output -p icmp -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
-A ufw-before-output -p icmp -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

After editing the file, run the command:
sudo ufw reload
 


wizardfromoz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
That 100% packet loss looks a bit dodgy, doesn't it?

Try the following (hash precedes comments by me, not commands):

Code:
sudo apt install traceroute

#And then

traceroute 47.182.239.232

#and

traceroute 8.8.8.8
and report back the output.

Wizard
 

fixit7

Member
You are very right. Very strange.

(I am also wondering if it is related to my not being able to get mail in Thunderbird.)

traceroute 47.182.239.232
traceroute to 47.182.239.232 (47.182.239.232), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
1 dslrouter.netgear.com (192.168.254.254) 0.855 ms 1.026 ms 1.236 ms
2 * * *
3 * * *
4 * * *
5 * * *
6 * * *
7 * * *
8 * * *
9 * * *
10 * * *
11 * * *
12 * * *
13 * * *
14 * * *
15 * * *
16 * * *
17 * * *
18 * * *
19 * * *
20 * * *
21 * * *
22 * * *
23 * * *
24 * * *
25 * * *
26 * * *
27 * * *
28 * * *
29 * * *
30 * * *

traceroute 8.8.8.8
traceroute to 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
1 dslrouter.netgear.com (192.168.254.254) 0.744 ms 0.951 ms 1.153 ms
2 * * *
3 * * *
4 * * *
5 * * *
6 * * *
7 * * *
8 * * *
9 * * *
10 * * *
11 * * *
12 * * *
13 * * *
14 * * *
15 * * *
16 * * *
17 * * *
18 * * *
19 * * *
20 * * *
21 * * *
22 * * *
23 * * *
24 * * *
25 * * *
26 * * *
27 * * *
28 * * *
29 * * *
30 * * *
 

fixit7

Member
I found the problemo.

I did a factory reset of my router by holding a recessed button down for 20 seconds.

As a result,
1. Ping works again
2. Now Thunderbird can retrieve my mail
 

wizardfromoz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Yeah, I think I saw something about routers in my travels :)

Have you run the 8.8.8.8 command again? Hopefully it should output with no entries having the asterisks.

Wizard
 

fixit7

Member
traceroute 8.8.8.8
traceroute to 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
1 dslrouter.netgear.com (192.168.254.254) 0.797 ms 1.014 ms 1.251 ms
2 47.182.238.1 (47.182.238.1) 9.260 ms 9.335 ms 10.067 ms
3 ge-5-3-2---0.arr01.nsby.tx.frontiernet.net (172.102.53.172) 10.588 ms 11.324 ms 11.966 ms
4 ae3---0.scr02.dlls.tx.frontiernet.net (74.40.1.81) 20.797 ms 21.311 ms 22.076 ms
5 ae1---0.cbr01.dlls.tx.frontiernet.net (74.40.1.82) 22.943 ms 23.607 ms 24.379 ms
6 74.40.26.234 (74.40.26.234) 25.390 ms 18.328 ms 19.035 ms
7 108.170.252.129 (108.170.252.129) 19.769 ms 108.170.252.161 (108.170.252.161) 16.186 ms 108.170.240.193 (108.170.240.193) 16.100 ms
8 209.85.248.109 (209.85.248.109) 15.835 ms 72.14.238.45 (72.14.238.45) 15.805 ms 216.239.57.55 (216.239.57.55) 17.270 ms
9 google-public-dns-a.google.com (8.8.8.8) 17.209 ms 17.352 ms 18.186 ms
 

wizardfromoz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
That's looking good :)

Wiz
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Top