PC will not boot after RAM upgrade

its Hillbilly

Reaction score
Credits
its me HillybillyH.
i added 32g more Ram and now it will not boot to Linux mint. The new ram is the same as the old.
i have tried booting from USB but no luck :(
PC specs in signature.
P.S. My my apologies for any typos. i can barely see the type with this laptop. LOL

Might want to check if the first strip of RAM is in the correct slot - if you install the first strip in the incorrect slot it will cause it not to boot usually newer MOBOs it is slot A2 should be first on older machines it maybe A1
Screenshot from 2024-01-23 12-24-25.png

i have 16g ram in all slots. if i remove the new to it still will not boot :(

Perhaps try and get the machine to boot with a single RAM stick in the correct slot using a stick that is known to have worked. Then at least you can get to the BIOS/UEFI and can check the info in it and try some alterations. Then you could progressively insert the sticks to see what fails.

These queries come to mind:

Does the BIOS/UEFI have reading of the speed of the RAM sticks, and what is it? E.g. 3600MHz, or some other value. In other words, is the BIOS/UEFI reading of the sticks congruent with the actual claimed speed of the sticks?

Is the speed of all the RAM sticks the same? They may have the same capacity, but what about the speed? Ideally, if they are the same speed, they co-operate seamlessly, but if they have different speeds, they will work only to the speed of the slowest, or in some cases not work.

Sometimes in the BIOS/UEFI, the DOCP (usually in AMD) is called XMP (usually in Intel), so XMP is likely with the MSI PRO B660M-A motherboard since it's running Intel (12th Gen), which uses the XMP initialism. So check post #4 of GatorsFan, substitute XMP for DOCP and perhaps try that.

Does a visual inspection of each physical memory stick show any differences? Are all the tiny terminals intact? Can you clean out the socket with some electronic cleaner (e.g. CRC Contact Cleaner pressure can)?

removing the CMOS battery to reset the MOBO
i have reset using the jbat1 jumper. LOL Pulling the bat on this MOBO is a major PITA!
try and get the machine to boot with a single RAM stick in the correct slot using a stick that is known to have worked
LOL that was the first thing i tried. :)
Does the BIOS/UEFI have reading of the speed of the RAM sticks
The BIOS/UEFI sees all four. Dram frequency 2133. 16384MB. XMP profile DDR4 3600MHz 18-22-22-42 1.350V

My apologies. it will load up to the MSI screen and stop.
Thank ill try a new bootable mint usb. LOL if nothing else it gives me something to do.

LOL im at Home?

New account, new Hillbilly?

LOL i dont have my password to login with HillbillyH.
i had to get a new email to.

Been there, done that !....had all pwds stored on pc. Pc decided not to "proceed"....left me out in the cold

The discovered I could download my password amanager to my phone...and access them if I really had to

minimum pwd length is around 18 characters....an absolute nightmare typing them....but you do what you have to do.

Just so I stay secure....I sign out of my pwd manager on my phone after using it.

If some clown is smart enough to figure out the main pwd to get into the manager.....well, I wish him luck....Lots of it !

it sees the m.2 ssd as the boot device but will not boot.
it sees the usb and gives me "error verification failed (0x1a) security violation"
i did get to to a "perform MOK management" but dont know how i did it. LOL

Disable secure boot

make sure you save the change before exiting bios

Disable secure boot
God bless you brother! LOL As with most things in life its the small things that i over look that trips me up. :D

P.S. "My Linux skill level ( I am a baboon brandishing a stick )"

LOL now i need to reassemble my computer. LOL

Hope there are no bits missing.....

Dont worry ill have bits left over! i always do.:D

Just chuck them in and close the panel....quick !

Members online