Oracle Linux

etcetera

Reaction score
Credits
I had to get a free Redhat clone and with the CentOS going away, the choice was very limited.
Ran OL9 for a few years.
It is supposed to be 100% compatible with Redhat, rpm and yum and stuff.

The only issue I ran into was that it uses its own repos so that if you want to install docker, you point to different repos than redhat. And sometimes the version was a bit off.

Basically it's like Fedora/Redhat/CentOS but without the stupid licensing/registering/subscription BS that Redhat is married to.

I suggest you try it.

Basically it's like Fedora/Redhat/CentOS but without the stupid licensing/registering/subscription BS that Redhat is married to.

I suggest you try it.

There might be users who value Linux distros backed by a company for various reasons like professional support or higher quality software and integration etc., but I'm not one of those users because want to get away from any company backed software.

My only complaint against software backed by a company are privacy concerns and tendency of companies to change the rules, especially rules regarding what's free.

Companies are known to give something for "free" to increase user base but then later change the rules and starting to charge it.

OL capitalizes on the fact that Redhat pulled the plug on CentOS, which made a lot of people upset.

I am forced to use Redhat professionally, not my choice. I don't like it and its whole commercial vibe. It has become like a religion. There is the Redhat way. Satellite server, etc. they have deviated from the Linux free software vibe a long time ago and with their IBM purchase, things have gone downhill even more.

Oracle Linux is basically what CentOS used to be like. If you have to use a Redhat based system for your personal use, it wouldn't make sense for me to jump on Debian like distro. I want familiarity with RH and clones and OL is the best alternative there is.

They do have the same support scheme and pricing structure as Redhat if you want support and just as expensive as Redhat.

But now you can get full functionality without any fees or registration. I am tired of Redhat.

The only issue I ran into was that it uses its own repos so that if you want to install docker, you point to different repos than redhat. And sometimes the version was a bit off.
Docker was the default in RHEL7 to run containers, since RHEL8 that has changed to Podman which is in the default repos.

Docker was the default in RHEL7 to run containers, since RHEL8 that has changed to Podman which is in the default repos

I've noticed some cloud providers, such as Azure, still only support Docker.

I had to get a free Redhat clone and with the CentOS going away, the choice was very limited.
Ran OL9 for a few years.
It is supposed to be 100% compatible with Redhat, rpm and yum and stuff.

Oracle isn't free if you want all the subscriptions.
There are some other choices. AlmaLinux and Rocky Linux. Even Fedora.
We run fedora on a LOT of our servers, and AWS uses it for their back-end.

To clarify the above, you can get full functionality in Oracle Linux without any subscriptions. You only start paying when you want to get support. It works exactly like Ubuntu in that regard. Fedora is not a suitable OS for long-term data centers because of how often they change their releases. I mean, if it were that simple there would have been no need for CentOS.

I've run OL8 and OL9 for 4 years, it just works. I like it more than Redhat. It is also suitable for me more than RL, etc. because I can get support if I choose to and Oracle is as big as Redhat so it's nice to have that option. There is no literally no advantage to Rocky or Alma Linux.

Fedora is not a suitable OS for long-term data centers because of how often they change their releases.

Plenty of data centers using it. We have 3 locations with over a thousand fedora instances.
The entire AWS stack is built on Fedora. AWS is probably the largest cloud provider.

you can get full functionality in Oracle Linux without any subscriptions.

If you want things like automation manager, you have to pay.

Last edited:

Members online