Off brand toner cartridges - specific linux solutions?

JoyceJJJ

Reaction score
Credits
I suspect there are workarounds to the firmware that HP installs to thwart my attempts to use alternatives. Where should I look for answers?
I appreciate any hand holding that's available.

Edit: Thanks, all, for your detailed replies. I'd ordered the toner in a fit of optimism and certainly should have known better. With my community band, ensemble, art, teaching, and volunteer work I work a printer to death. I'll do a better job with the research next time and will continue to loudly advocate for Right to Tinker and a Right to Repair.

Last edited:

I have just thrown 2 hp printers,my old photosmart, which i use to use re-filled cartages, and a 4 yr old Envy wireless printer,
HP have a bit in the cartage chip which records the first printer it is installed to, once this is done that cartage will not work in any other machine, and if you let it run out of ink before re-filling yourself, it will still not work in the original machine, I have spent many an hour looking for any possible way of de-coding them, without any luck. [HP are not the only ones to introduce this system]

I have used refilled cartridges here on my Hp envy without problems for about 4 years. I do not refill them my self but buy the from a certified company that refills them and they have always worked for me. Brand name is Value toner in the U.S. they coast about 1/2 the price of HP cartridges.

I have used refilled cartridges here on my Hp envy without problems for about 4 years.
I had been using re-fills on the photomart for about 8 years before the trouble started [mine came from one of the biggest refurbishes in Europe]

I have just thrown 2 hp printers,my old photosmart, which i use to use re-filled cartages, and a 4 yr old Envy wireless printer,
HP have a bit in the cartage chip which records the first printer it is installed to, once this is done that cartage will not work in any other machine, and if you let it run out of ink before re-filling yourself, it will still not work in the original machine, I have spent many an hour looking for any possible way of de-coding them, without any luck. [HP are not the only ones to introduce this system]
TL;DR: HP laser printers used to be great. Now I avoid them. We are still pleased with our Brother laser printer after five years of light home use.

I remember the old HP LaserJet and LaserJet II printers with the Canon CX and SX print engines in them respectively. They were built like tanks.

When the LaserJet II that I bought used at the computer swap meet finally died, I replaced it with a new HP 3800n laser printer. It lasted barely a decade of light home use. That HP 3800n was problematic. I decided that HP quality had declined significantly.

I replaced it with a Brother MFC-L3900CDW printer. My partner wanted a printer with a flatbed copier. After five years, the Brother printer is still running great for us. I won't consider it a "win" until it reaches the 10-15 year mark.

This new information about HP toner cartridge digital lockouts from @Brickwizard's first post in this thread makes me even less inclined to consider another HP printer. I did see the comment in his post that other printer manufacturers may impose their own digital lock-outs on toner.

Considering that this is the Linux.org forum, I am confident that most people here join me in decrying this latest assault from manufacturers in their fight against their own customers, who reasonably expect a Right to Tinker and a Right to Repair. My printer. My toner cartridge. ... and HP is not my mother.

This new information about HP toner cartridge digital lockouts from @Brickwizard's first post in this thread makes me even less inclined to consider another HP printer. I did see the comment in his post that other printer manufacturers may impose their own digital lock-outs on toner.

Considering that this is the Linux.org forum, I am confident that most people here join me in decrying this latest assault from manufacturers in their fight against their own customers, who reasonably expect a Right to Tinker and a Right to Repair. My printer. My toner cartridge. ... and HP is not my mother.
Amen .

Agreed - in spades. Thanks for the reminder.
Hell hath no fury like an retired English teacher with the time to write.
-Mom

Members online