Not Sure About Zorin OS, Will Test For A Couple of Days

nclinuxus

Reaction score
Credits
I have installed another distro on my laptop. Wizard told me earlier that support for Ubuntu MATE 32-bit ended on July 19th (that's today for me when I post this), so my latest system is Zorin OS, 32-bit. The desktop is attractive, but the responsiveness is not what I was expecting...slow. I installed Zorin because PlayOnLinux and Wine are already built in, no additional downloads needed (On both Ubuntu MATE and Zorin, error messages said that I need to install "winbund" for PlayOnLinux to work. That will be for another post; I will go there after I finally evaluate Zorin on my machine.). I'm continuing to check the lists of available distros and flavors, including Xfce and LXDE. Zorin appears to be stable, but not as good as Ubuntu on my machine. And boot-up time is longer! I installed the "pay what you want' (in other words, I got it for free) Zorin OS Core 32-bit; the Zorin Ultimate is £19. There are a couple of differences from Ubuntu, of course: The browser of choice is Chromium, not Firefox, and the free Zorin offers only two basic desktop backgrounds after install, from my observation. I plan to test drive other different flavors and distros about every two weeks or so.

Footnote: I found extra wallpapers in Settings. I will explore some more.

Last edited:

Good on you Jonathan ;) Keep an open mind and expand those horizons, the next pearl will be right around the corner.

I look forward to hearing more

Chris

the next pearl will be right around the corner.
Hmmm, I wonder if that was a subliminal message from our Wizard friend? :D:D

My experience with Zorin is similar... I think it's a beautiful distro, but it seems a bit sluggish to me (even with 8 GB of RAM). But by all means give it a good test drive while you have it. You may find tricks to speed things up that I haven't discovered. XFCE and LXDE are both nice low-resources desktops, so they are usually better performers (and MATE is usually pretty decent as well).

I think you will enjoy the search as you go along too. There are many fine distros, and hopefully one for everyone's tastes.

Cheers

Hmmm, I wonder if that was a subliminal message from our Wizard friend?

You may be right. What are his next words of wisdom for us? I don't know when I will find that pearl, but I'm still looking.

Another thing I have found from Zorin is: My free version does not give me the seconds on the clock! It may seem minor to some people, but I really do like to know how many seconds are counting down. So, if I want to display the time in hours and seconds, no good. Maybe the £19 package has that enabled, I don't know. After I finished downloading Zorin on the 19th and started driving it, my first reaction was to delete it and go for something else. But for some reason, my heart was softened by the beauty and sheer simplicity of the desktop, so I decided to keep my promise to sample it for the next 13 days (the morning before today). There's another annoying feature that I've come across, the panels and windows are super-sensitive to the mouse when it's hovering over them. The windows come and go immediately, depending on how you place the mouse. And the window I'm typing in will immediately minimize, depending on where the mouse is. Talk about vertigo! Despite these findings, I have noticed a strong system that seems to be stable and doesn't "crash." The menus are fairly consistent with the overall GNU / Linux experience, and the file cabinet is easy to access and use. Unlike Ubuntu MATE, Zorin's cabinet has a "Recent" tab, which gives you an overview of files you have just added or modified. I made the mistake of trying to change the name of one of my files in Recent (that's not where you do it, Jonathan!), that's Lesson Number One! ;)

...I think it's a beautiful distro, but it seems a bit sluggish to me (even with 8 GB of RAM). You may find tricks to speed things up that I haven't discovered. XFCE and LXDE are both nice low-resources desktops, so they are usually better performers.... I think you will enjoy the search as you go along too.

Yes, very true. I had no idea that sampling the Linux universe would be a bit of fun! The many flavors and distros are, to say the least, exciting. I started my computing experience with Windows several years ago (years before Linux was born), and this will be my first time venturing out into the great frontier. I'm not going to say anything negative about Windows because it gave me many good experiences along with the bad. And as I watched that OS grow from the early days of the World Wide Web, I could see how it was maturing. Like most other systems and distros (my opinion), there are great releases, good releases, fair releases, and "why did you me give that?!" releases. I remember my Windows days, when I couldn't wait to turn on the computer as soon as I got home. But humbly speaking, the Linux experience is in a dimension of its own, and I like the direction it's taking.

Back to Zorin: I have two recent (there's that word again) screenshots of my installation. I was drawn to the Grand Canyon wallpaper. A beautiful Zorin.

Have a super day and night!
Zorin Desktop 001 from 2018-07-20.png
Zorin Desktop 002 from 2018-07-20.png

I had no idea that sampling the Linux universe would be a bit of fun!

I reckon we should get Jonathan to write reviews for us, he brings a fresh perspective and new insights that some of the rest of us may take for granted :D

The Brothers Zorin were only teenagers when they developed Zorin off Ubuntu, and some criticise their business model, but I say more power to them. They provide a good avenue for many Windows users to dip their toes in the Linux Pool. In fact Zorin OS9 was my 2nd Linux Distro onboard, in 2014, put it on beside Ubuntu 'Trusty Tahr' 14.04 with the Unity DE, when an attempt to download Linux Mint 17.0 'Qiana' MATE failed, and put that on a couple of days later.

I have had Zorin in my Stables ever since.

Cheers

Wiz

I reckon we should get Jonathan to write reviews for us, he brings a fresh perspective and new insights that some of the rest of us may take for granted

Thank you for the compliment, I will take some time to weigh your recommendation. But for now, I will continue to post here on the forum with my comments and observations. I didn't know that the Zorin brothers launched this OS, I had assumed from the website that it was a new OS, just getting started. It's very valuable to have people who are very knowledgeable concerning the history behind the computer software. A couple of things about my Zorin Core: 1. I was not able to install Tor Browser from the system's Software (similar to Boutique on Ubuntu MATE). 2. The Clementine music player has an issue: the software will not download and save album covers (to display with each selection when it's playing). I did not encounter this problem with Ubuntu. Maybe the glitches have something to do with 32-bit architecture, I don't know. Yes, Zorin is very stable, but I have run across a few snags, so to speak.

By the way -- BTW -- what is the Zorin brothers' business model? I would like to know....

One more week before I choose another flavor...give or take a few days!

Cheers

Wiz

And a beautiful start of your week to you!

Last edited:

Members online