Non-Open Source Linux like Skype?!

randomperson124

Reaction score
Credits
My package manager has Microsoft's Skype and Facebook's WhatsApp. Here's my question, Does this mean Linux uses open source versions of these that are doing LESS spying but still communicate to the mothership? Or are these the same thing as if I use it for windows?

These packages are not open source. And are basically the same as their Facebook/MS counterparts just built to run on linux. So you should expect the same level of security with them as you would on the other platforms. Some distros don't have problems with non open source and some do. Some use a mixture of open and closed source packages. Depends a lot on the laws in the country where the distro is developed or headquartered. There are distros that won't offer non free/non open source packages in their repositories.

My package manager has Microsoft's Skype and Facebook's WhatsApp. Here's my question, Does this mean Linux uses open source versions of these that are doing LESS spying but still communicate to the mothership? Or are these the same thing as if I use it for windows?
Brave talk and Jitsi are open source. Brave talk is powered by Jitsi.

Staff online