No release file problem in me installing steam.

any name you wish

Reaction score
Credits
So this is what I tried to do, and I had the "no release problem" with the following errors:
Screenshot 2024-02-04 10.45.26 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-02-04 10.45.44 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-02-04 10.45.53 PM.png

How do I fix this missing package error?

I'm on chromebook version: Version 119.0.6045.214 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Debian jessie is end of live since 2020 . Do you realy use debian 8 jessie. You can show your version with:
Code:
cat /etc/debian_version
Than you can find the release name here for example:

It looks like you have
Debian bullseye as your debian version.

Debian jessie is end of live since 2020 . Do you realy use debian 8 jessie. You can show your version with:
Code:
cat /etc/debian_version
Than you can find the release name here for example:

It looks like you have
Debian bullseye as your debian version.
Didn't know a version of debian like that existed. Will clarify this in a moment.

The apt command is letting you know that there are duplicate entries in the sources.list file. Those duplicates need to be deleted, or commented out. There may be other problems with the file.

Perhaps paste your sources.list file here, using code tags, and readers will be able to advise on it's problems and remedies.

In relation to steam, if you run the command:
Code:
apt-cache show steam-installer
there will be some relevant information about installing steam.

Here is the file. Also, the command to reveal more about installing steam said that there's no package steam-installer.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-23 12.13.41 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-23 12.13.41 AM.png
    41.9 KB · Views: 53
Thanks for the output.

Unfortunately, the sources.list shown is accessing two releases, jessie and bullseye, which, in debian parlance, is called a "FrankenDebian". On the relevant website:
there is the fairly clear statement:
Debian Stable should not be combined with other releases carelessly. If you're trying to install software that isn't available in the current Debian Stable release, it's not a good idea to add repositories for other Debian releases.

There's lots of other info there which is probably worth reading.

On the matter of the package: steam-installer, it is in fact in the bookworm release which one can check at the debian packages website here:

Upon entering a search for "steam-installer", the returned output is:
Code:
Exact hits
Package steam-installer

bookworm (stable) (games): Valve's Steam digital software delivery system [contrib]
    1:1.0.0.75+ds-6: amd64

I guess you have to make some choices about which release you wish to run to achieve what you'd like to have functioning. It looks like steam may benefit from bookworm, so you may consider an upgrade.

Last edited:
When you made up your mind which direction you are heading in...

That's the link lol.
Thanks for the output.

Unfortunately, the sources.list shown is accessing two releases, jessie and bullseye, which, in debian parlance, is called a "FrankenDebian". On the relevant website:
there is the fairly clear statement:

There's lots of other info there which is probably worth reading.

On the matter of the package: steam-installer, it is in fact in the bookworm release which one can check at the debian packages website here:

Upon entering a search for "steam-installer", the returned output is:
Code:
Exact hits
Package steam-installer

bookworm (stable) (games): Valve's Steam digital software delivery system [contrib]
    1:1.0.0.75+ds-6: amd64

I guess you have to make some choices about which release you wish to run to achieve what you'd like to have functioning. It looks like steam may benefit from bookworm, so you may consider an upgrade.
I mean, I'll need to do some digging on how to separate and/or rid the jessie part. I'll need to dig through your sources too. Thank you for the help.