Need help with a freind's Laptop with Linux on it..... :)

B

blackneos940

So that Bartender guy I installed Mint for, on his Latitude D820.....? He needed help to try to Log In, and his TTYs worked, but the Desktop wouldn't load..... :( Also, he had Problems removing Firefox and Chrome, if I remember correctly..... :( He has a rather simple Password, so I thought maybe someone got in, but.... :( Anywho, I then proceeded to back up his Data, and then installed Lubuntu instead of Mint, as he is more familiar with Debian-based Distros..... :) So, everything worked as well as expected on this finicky Laptop..... But, after installing Chrome, Bleachbit, VLC, Clementine, and some other Programs, it won't start up unless I mess around in Recovery Mode..... D: It's usable, sure, but....... Oh yeah, it won't Shut Down, even WITH the "shutdown-now" Command..... :( However, when I upgraded to 15.10 (I had the 14.10 ISO), I was able to Restart the Laptop via that "Restart..." Button in the Distro Upgrader..... :) Anyway, thanks for any help guys..... :( I'm sorry about this.... Everything was going well ENOUGH, but, well..... The Latitude SUCKS, doesn't it.....? :(

Oh yeah!..... :) Before I forget, Lubuntu, which I ALSO have, among other Distros, on a USB, works GREAT..... So I think something happened somewhere along the Setup..... :) But that could be ANYTHING....... :( Like I said, I can Boot it up to the Desktop or the #bash shell recovery thingy by selecting Advanced Options in GRUB, so..... Wow, Text Wall, anyone......? :3 Sorry, I didn't think it would take this long..... :) Thanks guys!!..... :3

Last edited:

I fixed it..... :( It was something in the etc/default/grub File..... :( Normally, I would get a Reply by now..... Is everyone ok.....? Or is it because I've been away for so long.....? :(

@blackneos940 , I think most of us have been busy. I have been extremely busy, but I think things are settling down.

By the way, if you have issues with a system starting-up, rebooting, shutting down, etc. use the package manager (if you can get into the system) to re-install various packages. Such packages that I re-install in such cases include
  • the kernel packages and related packages
  • firmware and low-level driver packages
  • GRUB and all bootloader related packages
  • init, systemd, or any other similar software
When re-installing packages using the package manager, the configuration files will be fixed/replaced if corrupt, missing, or incorrect in some way. Also, when re-installing these packages, GRUB's configuration files are completely re-created.

I fixed it..... :( It was something in the etc/default/grub File..... :( Normally, I would get a Reply by now..... Is everyone ok.....? Or is it because I've been away for so long.....? :(
Some staff members have been on vacation. I have classes and work now. ;)

Last edited:
Browse on tutorials online...search for them through Google, Bing or Yahoo..

Some staff members have been on campus. I have classes and work now. ;)
Oh..... Ok.... :D I guess I shouldn't feel TOO bad about being a Recluse..... :3 So watcha' studyin'.....? :) Probably something SUPER complex..... Me, I'm still having trouble with "%d" and "%s" in Python..... :3

Some staff members have been on campus. I have classes and work now. ;)
But wow, I thought most of the people here were OLDER than me..... :D Does Arochester-Senpai go to College too.....? :3

@blackneos940 , I think most of us have been busy. I have been extremely busy, but I think things are settling down.

By the way, if you have issues with a system starting-up, rebooting, shutting down, etc. use the package manager (if you can get into the system) to re-install various packages. Such packages that I re-install in such cases include
  • the kernel packages and related packages
  • firmware and low-level driver packages
  • GRUB and all bootloader related packages
  • init, systemd, or any other similar software
When re-installing packages using the package manager, the configuration files will be fixed/replaced if corrupt, missing, or incorrect in some way. Also, when re-installing these packages, GRUB's configuration files are completely re-created.
Too late...... He he..... :D But it's something to keep in mind the next time I help someone with a Latitude D820..... Or when I get one myself.... :3 Anywho..... :) It was something with grub, on the line with the splash-y thing.... :D

upload you event log or abrt imformation, please.
by the way,is your bios setting ata?

I am older, much older. I'm actually older than dirt! o_O
Well, how about that..... :3 When I get to be THAT age, I better have been able to Astral Project..... I almost did once, and it kind of bugged me out..... :) But gee, you must have been around for the OLD Computers, like the C64..... :3 What I would give to go back in time and use one..... :3 Think I can put TinyCore on one.....? :D But I also wanna' learn Commodore-Basic as well...... I heard it's actually pretty good..... :)

Don't let anyone kid you... the "good old days" weren't all that good after all. Yes, I remember paying a hefty price to upgrade my RAM just so I could get 256 color resolution. I played with Commodore and Timex Sinclair before finally getting an IBM-compatible system, but I never did own an Apple (and still have no interest in that line).

Stick with the C family of languages, and Python... for now. You're really doing well and I enjoy following your progress. But will you still be using them 30 years from now? Who knows! I just suggest you keep looking forward, and keep learning. Someday you may look back on these times and consider how "primitive" everything was as it compares to the future technologies that you will have available. :D

Staff online