Solved Naming mounted drives in dolphin

Solved issue

CaffeineAddict

Reaction score
Credits
I have an SSD with system installed on it, and a secondary HDD which is data drive.
On fresh installed system the data drive was not auto mounted so I edited fstab to auto mount it for easy access in dolphin

Here is how it looks in dolphin:

dolphin.png

Problem I have is that the SSD (first item) is called "SIZE Internal Drive (sdb2)"
The HDD was also called in similar fashion but once I created the "Reserve" directory where to mount it, it was renamed to "Reserve", so right now the naming is inconsistent.

How do I make both drives be named by partition or volume name?
And how do I rename them so that both are shown by new name in dolphin?

Is it possible to name them in this format?:
  • Partition name (sdb2)
  • Partition name (sda1)

Last edited:

You can use Gnome-Disk-Utility to change the name of a drive (if not installed you will need to install it) Open Disks-> Click on the Settings of the required hard drive.-> Edit File System->change the required name.

Note: Unmount the drive first (by clicking on the stop icon) the drive before you change the Labels.

.. it depends, how's that for a vague answer.

Linux requires certain partitions to be named a certain way.
Most distro's ( but I recently found out, not all )
Want at least a /biosboot or /boot/efi and a /boot and at the bare minimum a /
/home and /var can be directories under / but some distro's like them to be their own disk partition.

What is the output of
df -h

Last edited:
You can use Gnome-Disk-Utility to change the name of a drive (if not installed you will need to install it) Open Disks-> Click on the Settings of the required hard drive.-> Edit File System->change the required name.

Note: Unmount the drive first (by clicking on the stop icon) the drive before you change the Labels.
Thanks, since I'm using KDE I've used the KDE partition manager and noticed that partitions on my system drive have no label.
I've assigned a new label only to the root partition and that made the dolphin display it after logout\login.

Members online