My thoughts on the Win. 10 release and new Privacy Policy

Better to stick with Linux!

The Privacy Policy is a Microsoft policy, not a Windows policy. Windows is only one way that they will collect and use your data.

I'll also stick with older versions of Windows and Linux. Win 10 got great review but they just had to screw it with all that privacy thing.

how danager they done! it's listening! we can't believe m$ because "aes 128 grops 1" is not safety

Well, I have been using Win. 10 for some time today and have come up with my conclusion.
Yes it is faster, yes it has some interesting features. BUT, at least on my system, those features are not working properly. The Windows apps (Store, weather, mail, Xbox, etc) are not starting. They just stopped working after upgrading.

Moving on to what was going to be my favorite feature Cortana. In order to use Cortana you have to provide MS with access to everything you type, access to the microfone, access to the webcam(if you have one), and possibly the worst of all your Location. Why is access to these thins Mandatory? I understand the microfone at times. And I also understand location AT TIMES but constantly? I don't like it.

My overall conclusion is simple. Too much hype and expectations for a piece of software with features that existed in other platforms already with features that do not work properly. 4/10 at this point. Not upgrading my Win. 7 install until these issues are resolved. GNOME provides all the features I need until then.
Anyone with Programming knowledge can see that Cortana can be EASILY be abused..... o_O

Well.... I'm dual booting with it. I caved in to use Windows for more access to games, but I'm still glad to have Linux as a stable fallback.

Also, like BlackNeos, I've decided to tackle programming, so Linux will be my Python environment. I'm signing up for a college Software Developer program, so Windows may be unavoidable for .NET or Java.
Really.....? :) I want to go to College for Computers and C, but....... None around that teach C...... :( Apparently, there's some IT Classes, but.... How will I know for sure if they teach C.....? :(

Another bad thing, worse even than the removal of BIOS boot options: PRIVACY. If you expand all the "Learn More" boxes on their Privacy Statement, you will find over 40 pages of Micro$oft legalese to wade through. I'm sure all that describes how they will "protect" me and my data.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/privacystatement/default.aspx

Of course, all of the default settings are set to give them permission to collect all the info they can about you. It will be well worth anyone's time to go through the settings carefully and decide which things might be better disabled instead.
I agree..... Every time I reinstalled Win8 (Either through my own fault or Windows being Windows[I'm on 10 now]), I made SURE to make everything private..... ;) (And when I did a clean install of 10, I did the same)..... Also, my Netbook couldn't afford to do a simple Update to 10..... I only had at most a GIG of free space, thanks in part to that big Recovery Partition..... o_O Now I have the extra space..... :) Linux would obviously take less space, but, you guys know what happened with the ASUS and Linux...... :(

Really.....? :) I want to go to College for Computers and C, but....... None around that teach C...... :( Apparently, there's some IT Classes, but.... How will I know for sure if they teach C.....? :(
Any IT class or school should be able to inform you what subjects they cover, before you sign up. C should taught as a separate course, or multiple courses, NOT as a small part of another course.

You could ask to speak to a college adviser at their campus or at least get their email.

I have actually looked at colleges to see if they teach Python and I can't find any around here. The program I'm taking includes many other languages though including C# and I may pursue Python on my own in addition to my curriculum.

I have not read these post yet but I'd just like to say I think this version sucks. Mainly because of the privacy invasion. I'm testing it now and they're spidering everything I do. They're using both iexplorer and file explorer plus MS Edge. I do not feel secure on this version or previous 8 versions. I'm using netstat constantly to see who's doing what and determining if it's legit. Plus my install is totally screwed and because I knew it was I tried to hack as much as I could for learning purposes for four days then it failed rolling back my Windows 7. Now all this virtual studio will need to be reloaded and a ton of databases. --That's the primary function for this laptop...
The software would not do a reset to reload Windows 10 either. If the upgrade went better I'd probably be less pissed. The one thing I will not do from this OS is use a credit card on the internet. I won't from any of the 8 versions either I'll stick with Linux for that and I'd trust OSX as well. Edge is pretty quick though only positive thing I could say. I'm not to happy with Google lately either and their policies.

For banking a live Linux cd would be good then reboot nothing saved - Brilliant.

Actually workspaces were already available in HP's Visual User Environment (HP-VUE) in 1987:

hp-vue-ux9-color-ch.png

As you can guess, CDE was mostly based on it.

I have not read these post yet but I'd just like to say I think this version sucks. Mainly because of the privacy invasion. I'm testing it now and they're spidering everything I do. They're using both iexplorer and file explorer plus MS Edge. I do not feel secure on this version or previous 8 versions. I'm using netstat constantly to see who's doing what and determining if it's legit. Plus my install is totally screwed and because I knew it was I tried to hack as much as I could for learning purposes for four days then it failed rolling back my Windows 7. Now all this virtual studio will need to be reloaded and a ton of databases. --That's the primary function for this laptop...
The software would not do a reset to reload Windows 10 either. If the upgrade went better I'd probably be less pissed. The one thing I will not do from this OS is use a credit card on the internet. I won't from any of the 8 versions either I'll stick with Linux for that and I'd trust OSX as well. Edge is pretty quick though only positive thing I could say. I'm not to happy with Google lately either and their policies.
I ran netstat, but could, at least PRESENTLY, see nothing except the Wireless Router, and when I went to 127.0.0.1, in netstat..... :) But what if they could be HIDING Connections to their Servers.....? o_O

Also, as I heard it: "When a Product is 'free', YOU are the Product instead.", or SOMETHING like that..... :) Now, if it's Free as in FREEDOM, on the other hand..... Things are a WHOLE lot BETTER..... :D

Actually workspaces were already available in HP's Visual User Environment (HP-VUE) in 1987:

hp-vue-ux9-color-ch.png

As you can guess, CDE was mostly based on it.
Very true. But wasn't HP-VUE a Unix environment? I thought KDE was the first desktop environment on Linux to have Multi-Desktop?

Very true. But wasn't HP-VUE a Unix environment? I thought KDE was the first desktop environment on Linux to have Multi-Desktop?
HP-VUE was made to use on Unix systems. At that time HP was producing HP-UX and Domain/OS, which are Unix of course. HP released an update of its HP-UX just five months ago, in March, so it's one of not many surviving UNIXes these days. Support for Domain/OS ended in 2001.

KDE first appeared only in 1998. At that time there were already CDE (which was released for the first time in 1993), Xfce (then CDE clone and was made using XForms, hence the name - XForms Common Environment, here's the picture:
Knowing_Knoppix_%28Xfce_1%29.png
), vtwm - Virtual Tabbed Window Manager (first appeared in 1990 and is still available, even exists in Debian repos) see screenshot:
Vtwm.jpg
, FVWM which virtual desktops can be divided into multiple pages ("desks"); and virtual desktops feature was probably already implemented in BeOS which is not strictly a POSIX compilant. I won't surprise if there were even more.

My two cents :)