My noob installation questions - plz dumb-it-down for me

artaq

Reaction score
Credits
good day folks! I have my aging parent's Windows Vista laptop that I'm trying to get working for them...password forgotten, and I can't get into it...nothing on it that needs to be kept. I am thinking of just wiping the HD and installing a Linux product.

my noob question is:

can i just wipe the HD with D-ban, burn Linux to a disc or USB and then pop it into my parents old laptop and it will install?

thank you in advance for dumbing it down for me - art.

just re-read your post
..password forgotten,

that might be a problem if booting from usb is not enabled . usually you can access the bios using maybe the esc key. For a short time before Windows boots up , the info to access BIOS and also boot menu is displayed on the screen.

Regarding wiping the drive- if you install a Linux OS , if you choose "use whole drive" during installation then everything that was on the hd would be wiped clean anyway.

you might try some likely linux distro candidates onto a "ventoy" formatted stick .

The advantage of ventoy is that you can just "drag and drop" linux os .iso files onto the specially formatted stick. here's a example of what i have on one stick :

(06-26 21:57)
ventoy
├── ISO
│ ├── debian-live-10.9.0-amd64-xfce+nonfree.iso
│ ├── endeavouros-2021.04.17-x86_64.iso
│ ├── linuxmint-20.1-cinnamon-64bit.iso
│ └── neon-user-20210325-0946.iso
├── Mint-persistence.dat
├── persistence.dat
└── ventoy
└── ventoy.json

There are versions for both Windows and linux https://www.ventoy.net/en/index.html

There is also a thread on this site about ventoy

The advantage of a linux OS running from a usb stick is that it uses the OS from the usb stick; but makes use of hardware from the PC from which the usb is attached to. Thus it gives you an idea of how things would work out IF you installed that OS to the hd on the PC

i'm guessing your PC mught be 32 bit- lubuntu might be worth a try

So basically don't wipe anything yet. Get a usb stick something like 16gig. have a go using your windows and ventoy Windows version to format it. Once formated you won't see anything visually different. But drag a linux iso on stick and then boot from stick .

Take it step by step.

to confirm whether its 64 bit or 32bit you have to poke about in menu and somehow arrive at system info ; somewhere there will be a mention.
you need this information because there for instance are both 32 and 64 bit versions of Lubuntu

you can try this old hack : hit window icon key on keyboard + R key.

type in where it says run the text , msinfo32

or read : https://www.l3harrisgeospatial.com/...cles-Detail/ArtMID/10220/ArticleID/18933/4040

Any questions ask away ...

Last edited:
Welcome to the Linux Org forums

We are a voluntary organisation our members are scattered across the four corners of the world and every time zone, so please accept that you may not get a quick answer.

Just a few things to remember
We are an international board so we ask that all post be in English [if you think your English is not very good , fine give it a try or use one of the translator programs [ DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator is recommended]
When asking for help
Please state the make and model number of your machine or its specification [some problems may be equipment specific]
Please tell us which distribution and build number you are having problems with [example Ubuntu 18.1]
Explain what your problem is and what [if anything] you have tried to remedy it yourself

Finally Linux is not Windows, It will require the newcomer to invest a little time and effort going through a learning curve so please don’t give up, kick off your shoes, grab a drink and enjoy the ride.

Bwiz

If you give your make and model I can tell the capabilities of their machine, we usually recommend installation by usb but as its a vista machine in may not be usb boot enabled.
There are over 300 current versions of linux some more friendly to new ex- windows users , My personal recommendations will depend on your equipment

If you have the Windows Vista DVD insert it and restart now select the DVD to boot first - wait for the Install Windows screen to appear - select Repair your Computer - Once the DVD finds your install usually C: Highlight it and select Next - Under the System Recovery Options select Command Prompt
Now enter the folowwing commands
Code:
copy c:\windows\system32\utilman.exe c:\
Code:
copy c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe c:\windows\system32\utilman.exe
answer yes to overwrite - now remove the Windows Vista DVD and reboot - when it reboots and you get to the login screen look for the little blue icon at the bottom left corner now open command prompt with it. Now we are going to use the net user command to change the password
Code:
net user USERNAME PASSWORD
- the USERNAME and PASSWORD can be whatever you want after you should see command completed successfully - close command prompt - now login - you may need to reboot if you can't login then login you should be able to get into Vista if you need to save some files

G'day artaq, Welcome to linux.org

I see the guys have given you enough to chew over for a day or three.

Have fun....that is what it's all about.

When you get stuck....Just ask away!

(everybody.....that is everybody gets stuck) :)