MX-AntiX 14 Keeps Restarting My Laptop

O

Overload

Last summer I brought out an old Tecra S1 laptop that I had sitting in the closet for quite a few years (came out in 2003). It runs a Pentium M 1.4 GHz cpu (Banias version) and is basically non-PAE. I settled on this distro and it ran well though the wireless would only work sporadically.

Honestly I laid it aside after a month's trial and error and had not picked it up until today because I want to try and learn more especially in light of the Windows 10 fiasco. Anyway, system booted right up though the second time I booted it I had to do a boot repair. In addition I was 199 updates behind. O-O Once I did the repair and installed the updates it was running fine (it was nice to see the added new features like Fire Fox).

The issue is that when I go to shut-down it proceeds to do so, shuts-down, and then restarts -- all the time. What do you suggest? Thanks.

Last summer I brought out an old Tecra S1 laptop that I had sitting in the closet for quite a few years (came out in 2003). It runs a Pentium M 1.4 GHz cpu (Banias version) and is basically non-PAE. I settled on this distro and it ran well though the wireless would only work sporadically.

Honestly I laid it aside after a month's trial and error and had not picked it up until today because I want to try and learn more especially in light of the Windows 10 fiasco. Anyway, system booted right up though the second time I booted it I had to do a boot repair. In addition I was 199 updates behind. O-O Once I did the repair and installed the updates it was running fine (it was nice to see the added new features like Fire Fox).

The issue is that when I go to shut-down it proceeds to do so, shuts-down, and then restarts -- all the time. What do you suggest? Thanks.

There are lots of hits on Google for "linux reboots instead of shutdown"... so you may have to dig into this problem to fix it. One of the most common responses is to check your BIOS for a setting called Wake On LAN (and disable, if enabled). Since antiX is Debian-based, I would look more for Debian solutions, but solutions for Ubuntu or other distros may help too.

antiX is now at version 16. Did all your updates bring it up to that? You might consider a fresh install also.

Good luck!

Members online