Move an installed windows os from machine to VM?

Danbor

Reaction score
Credits
Hello again all. Afraid I've another long winded post to ask a simple question.
I have an HP EliteDesk running Win 10 Pro. When I decided to turn my entire home network Mint Cinnamon only, this HP was my daily user. Come to find out, after many hours, and a few hours on the phone with tech support, I discovered that this unit was set up to only use windows. Only HP can unlock the bios. Well, I did find a tech that could do it, but it would cost more than a new unit. So in the closet it went.
Now, I have been trying for days now to get a windows game running using a combination of Wine, Winetricks, PlayOnLinux, and Lutris. I understand the basic premise of all of those things. Just as I know the basic premise of a Nuclear reactor. But don't ask me to build one.
Needless to say, I have been unsuccessful to this point. At least I've been doing all this in a cloned VM so whenever things get FUBAAR, I just delete and re-clone.
Then I had an idea. But I don't know if it's possible so I thought I would poll you kind folks and get some advice. All I need is a Virtual machine running Windows. And, I have a paid for, registered installation right there on that HP.
So, my question is how do I get the OS from one place to another? Ideally, a bootable .iso that I could install just like any other .iso. Or, workable but much less desirable, a dual boot Mint / windows set up.
Got my fingers crossed here. :D

Only HP can unlock the bios.
Now that.......would tick me off, immensely.

@MikeWalsh, gave me this link this morning (my time..Australia)....

The app is included in a great number of disros.....it is included in Linux mint, for one....

Maybe the good folk may help ?.... From the brief read I had , I took away that they have immense knowledge

Add:...Is this HP a desktop or Laptop??.....i just noted in Mikes blurb that they do NOT cover laptops...yet

Oh verily did it ... tick me off. In fact, this all happened eleven months ago and I'm still ... ticked off, about it.
In the middle of something else at the moment but I'll check out that documentation as soon as I get a few minutes. The HP is, for it's time, an above average desktop business computer.

Members online

Latest posts