motherboard for lga1151 - cpu = i5-6600

gypsycomp

Reaction score
Credits
I screwed up and bought an ASROCK H170 Pro4 mb a couple of years ago and only found out this year it does not support LINUX. Sad to say ASROCK did not indicate otherwise when I bought it.

Since I paid a lot for the i5-6600 cpu (LGA1151) and ddr4 memory I would like to use them in a new linux setup.

QUESTION: does anyone have expereince with the i5-6600 cpu in a linux mb. If so, what was mfg/model?

Thanks

welcome to the forums
Strange I used to run Linux on one of my old build which had Asrock board and AMD processor without problems, have you actually tried running it with Linux

THere may be some info here for you

fwiw, I have a ASRock model: B150M Pro4

I have had it since 2014 approx

What you say is true. It is not supported....with BIOS updates

Upon contacting asrock they suggest you install win 10 to bring about a bios update.....which is a pain in the butt

If I realy, really needed to update the bios, I would either wipe my current M2 drive (after taking a clone backup) ...install win 10....do the bios update.....and then wipe the win 10 by installing the clone straight over the top of it.

But...to me the bios update is not that impostant.

The pc runs like a scalded cat with no bios related dramas.

So....I will leave well alone.

In other words if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

It's been a few years but, putting together desktops, I found I lilke the brand Gigabyte the best for mobos.

Members online