Reaction score
Credits
Last edited:

Screenshot from 2023-07-14 17-26-41.png

neofetch-07-14-23.png

All I can say is butter! o_O

Please Note:
For those already running LM21.1
....a special update will come to your pc, giving you the opportunity to update directly to LM21.2

This is usually done via the Edit function in the Update Manager
It is a simple, trivial process to do...all your data will be preserved during that update....However, you should make sure a Timeshift snapshot is in place before going ahead, and if you also have a full backup then that would make perfect sense as well.

TO BE CLEAR
You do not have to download and reinstall if you are already running 21.1

Just decided to do a Full Install of Linux Mint 21.2 ?

Installation Instructions

Be sure to click on each instruction...there is a lot of information there to read....hopefully it will clarify things for you as well.

Is it free?​

Yes, Linux Mint is completely free of charge. Almost everything in Linux Mint is also open-source.

Will it work on my computer?​

Yes, Linux Mint works on most computers. It can also be run from a live USB stick to make sure everything works fine without having to install anything.

Can I keep Windows?​

Yes, you can have both Windows and Linux Mint. A menu asks you which one to use when you start the computer.

Will it suit my needs?​

Hopefully. Linux Mint comes with what most people need out of the box as well as easy access to more than 60,000 software packages and 7,800 games.

In the Release Notes, you will find a list of known issues.

Please note it is now imperative that Secure Boot be disabled .....as it may cause problems with installing Linux Mint in certain scenarios.

Last edited:
The Linuxmint.com is now showing the 21.2 download
21.2.png

The INSTALLATION GUIDE: https://linuxmint-installation-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

KNOWN ISSUES : https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_victoria_cinnamon.php
The first of these 'issues' states quite clearly..::""

Secureboot​

An update in Ubuntu’s shim-signed broke the compatibility of all Linux Mint (and past Ubuntu and derivative) ISOs with secureboot.

If because of this you are unable to install Linux Mint, for now we recommend to disable secureboot.

We are currently working on a fix for future ISOs and taking this opportunity to review the way we produce our images.

So, you encounter a slight hiccup in your install, butn disabling will most likely fix that

After installation you should encounter no related problems.

For those already running 21.1, a link will be published via the Update Manager for you to upgrade easily. .....no manual download is required in that instance.

EDIT TO ADD::
System requirements:

• 2GB RAM (4GB recommended for a comfortable usage).
  • 20GB of disk space (100GB recommended).
  • 1024×768 resolution (on lower resolutions, press ALT to drag windows with the mouse if they don’t fit in the screen).
Upgrade instructions:

• If you are running the BETA you don’t need to upgrade, use the Update Manager to apply available updates.
  • Upgrade instructions for Linux Mint 21 and 21.1 will be provided shortly.

Last edited:
linuxmint.com have been known to (ahem) take their time

We should perhaps not hold our collective breaths waiting for the Update Manager to provide the upgrade link..

The Linuxmint.com is now showing the 21.2 download
Just a heads up. I just checked the checksum from their page against the first one I posted and it matched ;)

CHECK-SUM.png

;)

linuxmint.com have been known to (ahem) take their time
And approximately one more month for LDME 6.
My other two little baby NUCs have been crying for some new shoes for awhile now :(

Saw the blog post this morning before I headed off to work. Will just have to wait until the Update Manager is itself updated which will allow existing users to upgrade.

It's a good release! Not a lot new but solid. Should serve many people well. Enjoy!

@pjs012 the update manager is ready to update ....and the system Reports will combine with update manager to provide LM 21.2

Upgraded !

The below has just appeared in the systray....(near the clock) on LM 21.1

Follow the prompts to Upgrade

BE SURE to have a Timeshift snapshot taken recently...or a backup.

I advised recently that the Upgrade would come via the update manager...I was misinformed

The System Reports page is available either via the systray , or by Clicking on Menu, and then typing in System Reports to arrive at the screen shown below.

More recent advice tells me it may come from EITHER system reports or Update Manager

2023-07-18_06-09-png.16384

Last edited:
LM 21.2 is Installed.

I had a hiccup on my first upgrade attempt

I have an instinct that the hiccup was possibly caused by a tiny glitch in the Internet connection...I am using the default Software Sources....I am in Australia. All things are possible.

The Updates simply said to me thta it had failed...please check the internet connection and try again

The second try went without drama or fanfare. Probably took around 3 - 4 minutes. required a reboot.
2023-07-18_06-45-png.16385

Easy as pie.

The error presented when it failed was:
Extracting templates from packages: 100%
(Reading database ... 438406 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../base-files_21.2.0_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking base-files (21.2.0) over (21.1.1) ...
Setting up base-files (21.2.0) ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/issue ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/issue.net ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/lsb-release ...
motd-news.service is a disabled or a static unit not running, not starting it.
dpkg: error: dpkg frontend lock was locked by another process with pid 13639
Note: removing the lock file is always wrong, and can end up damaging the
locked area and the entire system. See <https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Dpkg/FAQ>.
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)
A package failed to install. Trying to recover:
Processing triggers for cracklib-runtime (2.9.6-3.4build4) ...
Processing triggers for plymouth-theme-ubuntu-text (0.9.5+git20211018-1ubuntu3) ...
update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
Processing triggers for mintsystem (8.5.5) ...
Processing triggers for install-info (6.8-4build1) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.10.2-1) ...
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.140ubuntu13.2) ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.15.0-76-generic

...all of which is behind me now....it updated successfully on the second run

Note:...Do Not Panic. Just follow the prompts. Do not be in too much of a hurry to click on next or apply....give it 10 seconds....it may well begin another download.

Last edited:
I just did clean intalls on two client's machines this afternoon. Husband & Wife, both 85 years old.
Swapped them over from windows to LM 21 last year, and they couldn't be happier.
Both clean installs went without hiccup :)

Hope the Bluetooth Manager is better in 21.2 than the one included in 21.1. Such a silly pain in the behind when bluetooth isn't working when it worked perfectly in 20.

Members online