minimal BASH-like editing is supported notice

ron handford

Reaction score
Credits
wanting to try Linux [and not dual boot my Windows PC] I set up a stand alone PC using items i had left over from a recent upgrades , and used a KVM switch to switch between them . got a liking for various Linux distros , Cinnamon/Zorin so i decided to upgrade the Linux PC based around the ASUS Gaming B560M PLUS WiFi mobo / Intel i5 10500F CPU
LINUX ERROR.jpg
....... cleared UEFI , set up fans etc but got no further and presented with a screen notice .... minimal BASH-like editing is supported ... a screen shot is attached ... the single SSD drive was retained so why couldn't Linux be loaded from it . any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

is the screenshot from after installing linux or possibly when trying to boot into a live usb? did you end up installing (or trying to) cinnamon/zorin or can you say distribution you did try to install? you mention that the ssd was retained. did it already have a distribution installed on it?

is the screenshot from after installing linux or possibly when trying to boot into a live usb? did you end up installing (or trying to) cinnamon/zorin or can you say distribution you did try to install? you mention that the ssd was retained. did it already have a distribution installed on it?

many thanks for your prompt reply
the screenshot was a PC i was trying to upgrade ? new mobo , CPU , GPU , RAM but using the SSD of the existing PC which had Zorin installed on it it and working perfectly , i wanted to update the PC spec ?

The screen that is shown in post #1 is the grub prompt which is a result of grub failing to find everything it needs to boot the installation.

The reference to "BASH-like line editing" lets you know that some bash commands are the same as the commands that grub uses in its grub shell, hence you can use the ls command to see what grub can list. So perhaps run:
Code:
grub> ls
It may return something like: (hd0) (hd0,msdos2) (hd0,msdos1), so we can take it from there to eventually see if the installation is bootable. Better to go step by step than try and explain the whole shebang in one go.

Alternatively, you can take the gross approach and re-install grub to see if that resolves the issue. It may, but if not, there are more serious issues to look at.

many thanks for your prompt reply
the screenshot was a PC i was trying to upgrade ? new mobo , CPU , GPU , RAM but using the SSD of the existing PC which had Zorin installed on it it and working perfectly , i wanted to update the PC spec ?
you're quite welcome and thank you for the added info. since zorin is based on ubuntu, if you have or can make a live usb you could try boot-repair: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

Members online

Latest posts