Lubuntu Suddenly Slower..... :( How Is This POSSIBLE??..... D:

B

blackneos940

Anywho, last night was great..... :3 But this thing happened before I was drunk, I promise....... :D Anyway, Lubuntu is really slow lately....... :( It's fine when I use the Mouse, type, and possibly other, SIMILAR things, but when I log on, open Firefox, open Konsole, which takes somewhat longer on non-KDE Installs, those things take LONGER, especially Firefox....... :( What could have happened between now and then.....? :( It happened shortly after starting a Windows 7 VM, which worked alright the first time around, and was surprisingly quick once it Logged On to 7, and didn't make my Laptop hot, despite being a VM with 7 on it..... :) But when I started it again, it got really LAGGY, though Lubuntu itSELF was FINE..... :( Now though, it's slow when I use Firefox, Log On, Boot Up, etc...... :( *Sigh*.... Why does this stuff always happen to me.......? :(

Oh yeah, here's the Specs Ryanvade said we should try to get..... :3

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960 Memory Controller Hub (rev 0c)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (primary) (rev 0c)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (secondary) (rev 0c)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1a.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 02)
00:1a.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 4 (rev 02)
00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 6 (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev f2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801HM (ICH8M) LPC Interface Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801HM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) IDE Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801HM/HEM (ICH8M/ICH8M-E) SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
03:01.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller (rev 05)
03:01.1 SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 22)
03:01.2 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter (rev 12)
03:01.3 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd xD-Picture Card Controller (rev 12)
09:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM5906M Fast Ethernet PCI Express (rev 02)
0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev 01)

Thank you SO much, guys..... :3

Hello....? :( Anybody.....? :( It's getting so slow, that these words take longer to gtttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttype..... As I see it, I'tttttttttttttttttttttttttm still at "anybody".... :(tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt What in the world is going on with my Keyboard?!..... o_O

Hey buddy! Not sure what might be happening either. Have you tried the "top" command? That will show you if the CPU is being hogged by any particular application. If there is a problem app, then you can kill that process and it should run better.

Hey buddy! Not sure what might be happening either. Have you tried the "top" command? That will show you if the CPU is being hogged by any particular application. If there is a problem app, then you can kill that process and it should run better.
Well..... As it happened after I ran a VM with Windows 7 on it, this guy who lives near me, who's a Geek like me, said that I might need to Defrag my HDD..... :) I found this: http://askubuntu.com/questions/221079/how-to-defrag-an-ext4-filesystem

Anywho..... :3 When I booted my Live GParted Distro, I did what it said to my best understanding, and so far, things seem faster..... :) I'll Reboot a few times, as I'm on it now, and see if it loads up fast, TOO..... :) This is an old Laptop, from the late-2000's, and as Spatry said, it "won't make your PC a race-winner", but it was never THAT slow before..... :( It Booted up, and I could Log On in a reasonable amount of time.... :) I'll Reboot now, and let you know what I find, 'k.....? :)

I read some of the link you gave, and followups to that. Seems like defrag has its own "some say yes, some say no" arguments. I've never defragged a Linux install, ever. And from your description, I don't think that is your trouble either. If fragmentation were a problem, it would get worse gradually... but your symptoms seem to have developed suddenly. I'm guessing its more of a single culprit, either hogging CPU time or leaking memory. Think about some of the latest apps you've installed, or major changes to your system. Maybe VMware has something to do with it, but maybe you have installed other things lately too.

Linux is usually fixable, but it can take a lot of time to determine the problem and the appropriate solution. I treat Linux like Windows in these kinds of cases... that is, if it becomes too much trouble, its easier to re-install and start over. But that's just me.

Sounds like Windows is causing slowdowns again. ;)

Are you sure no other changes were made to the system?

I read some of the link you gave, and followups to that. Seems like defrag has its own "some say yes, some say no" arguments. I've never defragged a Linux install, ever. And from your description, I don't think that is your trouble either. If fragmentation were a problem, it would get worse gradually... but your symptoms seem to have developed suddenly. I'm guessing its more of a single culprit, either hogging CPU time or leaking memory. Think about some of the latest apps you've installed, or major changes to your system. Maybe VMware has something to do with it, but maybe you have installed other things lately too.

Linux is usually fixable, but it can take a lot of time to determine the problem and the appropriate solution. I treat Linux like Windows in these kinds of cases... that is, if it becomes too much trouble, its easier to re-install and start over. But that's just me.
Ugh..... :( I messed up GRUB, so after having a Kitten, I followed GParted's Help Guide, and I learned that all I had to do was reinstall GRUB!..... ^^ YAY!!!.... ^^ Also, it was Virtualbox, as it's Open Source..... ;) Um..... More changes....... :\ What did I do...... Hmm.... It also happened after an Update..... Which was around the time that 7's VM started lagging like fsck..... :3 But, I can't reinstall Lubuntu without losing a lot of my Data.... :( I haven't enough room on ANY of my devices to put the Data on, I think.... :( Also, the guy who's Computer I put Lubuntu on.....? He had an issue with his Printer, but it turns out that a girl who works with him helped him set it up!..... :) Phew.... :D One less thing I have to work on... ;) Anywho, he said he LOVES Linux (not surprising, I know.... ;)) But he also said he would refer me to other people!.... :D Wow..... :3 Maybe now I can finally start giving BACK to the FOSS community..... :3 You all sure helped ME out in my time of need..... :D

Sounds like Windows is causing slowdowns again. ;)

Are you sure no other changes were made to the system?
Yeah, right.....? :) What are the ODDS.....?? :3 Anywho....... :) Oh, I thought when I clicked "Reply", it only put HALF of your Response in this Text Box 'o mine..... It's MY Text Box, not YOURS....... :3 MINE....... :3 I'mma keep 'dis Box.... 'K.....? :3 Anywho....... :3 Like I said to atanere, I think it might have slowed down after an Update..... :\ But I say this to you, oh Mr. Clone Trooper: I took out the Hard Drive to this Inspiron, and wanted to put in my old Toshiba Satellite HDD I still had from that broken thing, but guess what.....? It wouldn't even FIT!..... :( I KNOW the Data is still on there...... I KNOW it.... :( Anyway..... :) I found out, by looking at THIS HDD, that it was made in 2008!!..... Dear Lord, I'm using this thing on borrowed TIME!!..... D: Anyway, I'm off to see if I can put Ubuntu on my ASUS x205ta..... Someday, God willing, I'll DO it!!..... :D YOU'LL see!!!..... :3

Latest posts