Solved Looking for joystick purchase advice compatible with Linux and DOSbox

• Thread starter Deleted member 147986
  • Start date
Solved issue
D

Deleted member 147986

Would like to dive back into the joys of playing old DOS space sims like Tie Fighter, X-Wing, Wing Commander, Privateer and all those. Currently I don't have a joystick, but willing to buy one, yet unsure of which one. Hoping you can help me pick one that has good Linux and DOSbox compatibility. Just looking for a single player setup, not something fancy for Flight Simulator.

Currently having my eyes on these two because they are readily available but hoping to hear opinions and other options:

*Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick

*Thrustmaster T.Flight Stick X

Found this about the Thrustmaster T.Flight Stick X:
"The device is supported by kernel versions 2.6.14 and newer according to the LKDDb"
at https://linux-hardware.org/?id=usb:044f-b107

Stumbled across one while ssd shopping for 25 euro instead of the usual 45-50 or so other shops have it listed at. So hopefully I'll be playing TIE Fighter and such in a few days.

The Logitech Extreme 3D Pro also seems supported: https://linux-hardware.org/?id=usb:046d-c215

A tip for people in the future looking for compatibility information: search for the product name and linux driver instead of linux compatibility. The first one yields useful information, the other not really.

Last edited by a moderator:
It has arrived and can confirm the Thrustmaster T.Flight Stick X works just by plugging it in.

Default button layout is a bit weird when using it with games under wine and proton. Many games recognize everything except physical buttons 1, 7, 11, and 12. These register as buttons 5, 2, 8, 9 in jstest-gtk and 6, 3, 9, 10 in qjoypad.

Games identifying it as a controller also have a weird default layout. Reordering the buttons in jstest-gtk doesn't seem to change anything.

Qjoypad can remap buttons, but doesn't support using modifier keys like alt and shift. Unfortunately the default keybinding in TIE Fighter to fire the weapons is alt-2, and there are other useful ones with modifier keys also.

Input-remapper can do that, it makes a virtual joystick device so you'll have to bind everything. But that one, despite it's many macro functions, seems to have trouble having it's repeating keystrokes recognized by games. Probably some input method less compatible with games.

Pressing the fire button for every shot is not how the game is setup by default and not really comfortable considering the game length. Splitting the throttle axis into two buttons is also something I haven't figured out yet.

Can confirm TIE Fighter is still worth playing 30 years later. Despite the mapping issues taking some time it was worth it.

The DOS versions require you to calibrate the joystick every time you start the game. Despite all axis being 0 without drift in jstest-gtk, it often drifts in the game after calibration. For some reason it recognizes throttle input and probably others instead of only x/y joystick input for it's diegetic menu screens. Not sure what's going on there.

If you're interested in (re)playing it get the GOG version when it's on sale for the price of a cup of coffee and use the 1998 version with XWA ddraw renderer (Direct3D 11) to render it at desktop resolution with anti aliasing and anisotropic filtering. Works great for me under Heroic Games Launcher using Steam's Proton 8.0.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts