Looking for help converting single LVM drive to larger RAID 1

VitoMacDoc

Reaction score
Credits
Hello,
I have a very old Dell PC running CentOS 6.6 on a spinning 136 GB drive. I need to upgrade to a newer PC with 1 TB SSD drives.
I need to stay at this version of CentOS due to legacy support of custom applications.
I would like to clone the drive instead of starting from fresh install because everything is working perfect.

The old drive is legacy boot partition and LVM container with 6 volume groups / partitions.
My goal is to clone to the larger SSD drive and make all the volume groups larger.

I also want to make this setup a bootable RAID 1 in case of a drive failure.
Has to stay Legacy boot, cant do UEFI.
I am keeping 1 GB of free space at end of volume for any type of RAID configuration.

The new PC has Intel RST active in the BIOS. I have often used RST for Windows and Linux and never had a problem.
I know there are many comments, pro and con, using RST on Linux, but I like seeing the Intel RAID config when booting to remind me it is a RAID.

In higher level terms, what would be the best approach to upgrade?

Shall I clone to one new drive, expand the VGs and setup software RAID with 2nd drive and mdadm? (in process of going this route)

Shall I try saving boot part and VGs as individual files, creating RST RAID with larger volumes and clone each group? (tried once, didn't boot)

Combination of both?

Another process?

Would LVM RAID work in this situation?

Thank you in advance for responses.

Last edited:

Members online