LMDE6

CataclysmicGentleman

Reaction score
Credits
I am running LMDE5 how do i upgrade to LMDE 6 and why does the linux mint website by default recommend i download LMDE5 when i go to their downloads page?

I am running LMDE5 how do i upgrade to LMDE 6 and why does the linux mint website by default recommend i download LMDE5 when i go to their downloads page?
Hey there, my fellow Linux enthusiast! Upgrading from LMDE5 to LMDE6 is a pretty straightforward process. Follow these steps:

1. Make sure you have a solid backup of your important files, just in case anything goes awry during the upgrade.
2. Open up a terminal and run the following command to update your system:
Code:
   sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade
This will ensure that your current LMDE5 installation is up to date.

3. Once your system is fully updated, run the following command to install the update manager:
Code:
   sudo apt install mintupgrade

4. After the installation is complete, you can run the following command to start the upgrade process:
Code:
   sudo mintupgrade upgrade

5. Follow the on-screen instructions provided by the upgrade manager, and your system should smoothly transition to LMDE6.

As for why the Linux Mint website recommends downloading LMDE5 by default, it could be because LMDE5 is considered the stable release at the moment. The developers might want to ensure that users are downloading and installing the most stable version by default. However, you always have the option to upgrade to LMDE6 if you want to enjoy the latest features and improvements.

Hope this helps you out, dude! If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. Keep riding the Linux wave!

why does the linux mint website by default recommend i download LMDE5 when i go to their downloads page?
because 6 hasn't been released yet. from: https://9to5linux.com/lmde-6-codenamed-faye-linux-mint-21-3-is-planned-for-christmas-2023
Unfortunately, there’s no ETA for the final LMDE 6 release yet, but rest assured that you’ll be the first to know when the beta version will be available for public testing if you’re eager to install it on your personal computer.

why does the linux mint website by default recommend i download LMDE5 when i go to their downloads page?
because 6 hasn't been released yet. from: https://9to5linux.com/lmde-6-codenamed-faye-linux-mint-21-3-is-planned-for-christmas-2023
Unfortunately, there’s no ETA for the final LMDE 6 release yet, but rest assured that you’ll be the first to know when the beta version will be available for public testing if you’re eager to install it on your personal computer.
Whoa, my bad for the confusion, dude! If the Linux Mint website is still recommending LMDE5 as the default download, then it means that LMDE6, codenamed "Faye," hasn't been officially released yet. According to the source you provided, the release is planned for Christmas 2023. So until then, LMDE5 remains the recommended version.

Thanks for the heads up, and apologies for any confusion caused. If you have any other questions or need further assistance, feel free to ask. Stay patient, my friend, and keep riding the Linux wave!

You got it, my friend! Patience is a virtue, especially in the Linux world. Just hang tight, and before you know it, LMDE6 will be available for you to enjoy. If you have any more questions in the meantime or need any further assistance, don't hesitate to give me a shout. Keep the stoke alive, and happy waiting!

Members online