Linux will not start from USB.

Anarchist86ed

Reaction score
Credits
My Gaming laptop got a critical process dies on windows 10 a few weeks ago, it hasn't worked since. I was able to start Linux from USB to salvage my files, but now Linux will not even start from the USB anymore. I can get the windows 10 install USB to work, but I'm guessing there's a problem with the SSD because it won't recognize it and won't install. But before that I was going to use Linux to remove files because 10 wouldn't install because there wasn't enough space on it. But like I said, Linux will not start in any way I try. Here's the nonsense it says before I have to hard shut down because it won't do anything past these. Mint 64, btw.

And apologies if I posted in wrong place.

IMG_20200301_144240769.jpg
IMG_20200309_123503950.jpg

Last edited:

Is this happening after a recent Windows 10 update?

If so you might want to have a look at these links:

I see 2 messages/warnings in the output that stands out the most.
1. Couldn't get UEFI db list. (db stands for data base)
2. No caching mode page found

You might want to google those messages/warnings to find out what they mean.

No, my computer is screwed. I can't even log into windows nor reinstall it. I was trying to use Linux to see if I could delete files from the SSD to do it. But now Linux won't even boot from the USB.

No, my computer is screwed. I can't even log into windows nor reinstall it. I was trying to use Linux to see if I could delete files from the SSD to do it. But now Linux won't even boot from the USB.
Plug in the Linux usb flash drive that you want to install.

Than try going into the BIOS on that machine.

1. Go to the boot menu and set the machine to 'boot to USB'.
2. Make USB to be the first choice in the boot menu.
3. Save and exit.

Upon exiting your machine should boot into the Live USB Linux pendrive that you want to install.

**Also make sure that secure boot is DISABLED.

Plug in the Linux usb flash drive that you want to install.

Than try going into the BIOS on that machine.

1. Go to the boot menu and set the machine to 'boot to USB'.
2. Make USB to be the first choice in the boot menu.
3. Save and exit.

Upon exiting your machine should boot into the Live USB Linux pendrive that you want to install.

**Also make sure that secure boot is DISABLED.

Yeah, that's how it works. But it doesn't. That's what I'm trying to say here. Linux, from a USB memory stick, will not start. All I get is the code in pictures.

It would appear the usb stick is screwed. Download a fresh copy of Linux and 'burn' the iso to the usb stick, Tell us which app/program you use to 'burn' the iso to the stick

BTW....which linux are you using on the usb stick ?

@Anarchist86ed welcome to linux.org :)

the above begs the question - what means are you using to communicate with us?

chris turner
wizardfromoz

it's linux mint 64, you said, but what version of mint down to the dot point, eg 19.2, 19.3?

what is the make and model of your computer?

for the op and the other contributors, this article from linux mint 16 months ago has similarities

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=276748

cheers

one-armed wizard :D

It's freshly downloaded version of mint 64. It will not run from a brand new USB either.

It's an Asus ROG GU501 gaming laptop. Ever since windows died it's been useless. I can't even save and exist from bios without it needing a hard reset. I'm trying to exhaust every problem before I take it for repair which will cost, probably, a small fortune.

IMG_20200313_150536279.jpg

IMG_20200313_151130144.jpg

Check your BIOS. Is Secure Boot enabled or disabled? Make sure that it is disabled.

Maybe take out the cmos battery wait a minute and put it back in place.

I'll look up your laptop and see if I can find a solution for the exact issue you have going on.

Did you by any chance update or flash the BIOS?

Is this you machine?

Have you had it less than 30 days?

Is this you machine?

Have you had it less than 30 days?

No, I've had it a year. It crapped the bed just after the warranty was up.

Can't until my T5 screwdriver arrives, and no I didn't.

No, I've had it a year. It crapped the bed just after the warranty was up.

Can't until my T5 screwdriver arrives, and no I didn't.
The fact that it crapped out right after the warranty was up says a lot about their workmenship.

It's up to you , Anarchist86ed, but I would be calling up Asus and tell them you have been a customer for many years and never had a problem. Than explain that the laptop became completely in-operable right after the warranty and tell them it's poor workmenship and not except-able asking them for a 'good will adjustment'.

Once you have that T5 driver I hope for you that taking out the cmos battery helps.

I've ordered some replacement parts. New SSD, better than what's in there. Will wait to disassemble it till the parts arrive. If that doesn't work, I'll send it in for repair. Still makes no sense why Linux wont start from the USB though.

I've ordered some replacement parts. New SSD, better than what's in there. Will wait to disassemble it till the parts arrive. If that doesn't work, I'll send it in for repair. Still makes no sense why Linux wont start from the USB though.
Didn't you say you couldn't get into the BIOS at all?

An update may have broken the firmware that talks to the usb hardware and if you can't get into the BIOS that makes sense why the usb stick won't boot because you can't set the boot menu to usb.

No, I can get into bios, it just takes about 5 attempts and it crashes after I exit it.

No, I can get into bios, it just takes about 5 attempts and it crashes after I exit it.
Sounds like the API is hanging up or badly mis-configured somehow.

I hope for you that removing the cmos battery helps to reset the BIOS.

Sorry your having so much trouble with that machine.

Members online