Linux update problem

jzzaj

Reaction score
Credits
Hi,

I have a problem that I've had a few times on Mint and Ubuntu and I don't know what causes it or how to fix it.
I have a laptop that I just use for general web browsing and email and over the last two years I've installed Mint and Ubuntu on it.
I like to keep the system updated so I always use the built in software updater to make sure the OS is up to date. The problem is that eventually I encounter a 'the package system is broken' error. This has happened on all systems and I try to fix the problem using the recommended commands that people say to use but nothing fixes it, so I end up installing the OS.

I'm currently using Ubuntu and the same thing has happened. I tried to update 4.15.0.45 but I get the error so when I boot I have to select 4.15.0.43 otherwise there is no wifi with 4.15.0.45.

Any advice appreciated as to why this keeps happening.

Thanks

I'm no Linux expert, but what I've found with booting to an older kernel after updating to a newer one is that it's sort of booting to safe mode. The system's designed for you to only boot to the newly installed kernel. Booting to the old gets you into a shell where you can work to get an issue resolved. Somethings don't work anymore in the old kernel but you could do your role back here.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, I'm going to try the Ubuntu link on arochester's reply and see if I can fix the problem.

I tried to fix the problem, please see below:

Code:
sudo apt-get update –fix-missing
OK no errors

Code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a

output

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of linux-image-generic:
linux-image-generic depends on linux-modules-extra-4.15.0-45-generic; however:
Package linux-modules-extra-4.15.0-45-generic is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package linux-image-generic (--configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of linux-generic:
linux-generic depends on linux-image-generic (= 4.15.0.45.47); however:
Package linux-image-generic is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package linux-generic (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of linux-signed-generic:
linux-signed-generic depends on linux-generic; however:
Package linux-generic is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package linux-signed-generic (--configure):
Errors were encountered while processing:

linux-image-generic
linux-generic
linux-signed-generic

So then I try

Code:
sudo apt install linux-modules-extra-4.15.0-45-generic

output

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed
linux-modules-extra-4.15.0-45-generic
0 to upgrade, 1 to newly install, 0 to remove and 53 not to upgrade.
3 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0 B/32.7 MB of archives.
After this operation, 171 MB of additional disk space will be used.
(Reading database ... 193847 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../linux-modules-extra-4.15.0-45-generic_4.15.0-45.48_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking linux-modules-extra-4.15.0-45-generic (4.15.0-45.48) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/linux-modules-extra-4.15.0-45-generic_4.15.0-45.48_amd64.deb (--unpack):
unable to open '/lib/modules/4.15.0-45-generic/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/ath/carl9170/carl9170.ko.dpkg-new': Operation not permitted

This folder exists: /lib/modules/4.15.0-45-generic/kernel/drivers
But there is no 'net' folder. I don't know what to try now, any suggestions? thanks.

Think I'll just reinstall the OS. I'm just using the built-in updater, thought Linux was supposed to be stable?

Linux Mint is stable.....solid as a rock. Many years of experience tells me this.

So......reinstall it. Make sure you verify the ISO that you use

Once it is installed and wifi etc are working.....use Timeshift to save a snapshot of your operating system, preferably to an external hard drive.

Set a schedule for updating...select something sensible.....and then leave it alone.

Thanks Condobloke, good idea about using Timeshift.

Thanks very much wizardfromoz.

I tried to install the package manager but it errors during installation saying "Unable to open /lib/modules/4.15.0-45-generic/kernal/drivers/net/ethernet/qlogic/qed/qed.ko.dpkg-new"

I'm just going to reinstall and then use timeshift (I'll refer to your tutorial)

Just out of interest again, Mate

I tried to install the package manager

I'm currently using Ubuntu

... which version of Ubuntu, and which Desktop?

Why I ask is - Synaptic Package Manager comes already installed in Ubuntu 18.04, whether it be on the GNOME (aka Desktop) or MATE versions, and others.

In GNOME, simply click in Activities and type in synaptic. In MATE, it will be either under Admin or System (in GNOME at the moment).

You can also check with the following installation

Code:
sudo apt install apt-show-versions

This will allow you to access all packages installed or available in Ubuntu. The complete list is via

Code:
apt-show-versions

or for just Synaptic

Code:
sudo apt install apt-show-versions | grep synaptic

...so I am wondering whether your install was faulty, and where you downloaded from, and if you verified?

Cheers

Wizard

Thanks, I'm using Ubuntu Desktop version 4.15.0-45. Synaptic is installed and there is a broken package (linux-image-generic)
I downloaded the ISO from the official Ubuntu website and verified the ISO.
The only software that I have installed separately is google chrome and Sophos.
I'm going to reinstall the OS and then do as suggested and use Timeshift and set a schedule for updates.

Thanks for your help.

Members online

Latest posts