Linux thread of records.

B

bashcommando

I think we should start a linux thread of records. I will start:
  • Smallest distribution: Fd Linux - 1393 KB(Minimum)
  • Most cloned distribution: Debian - 100+
  • Most downloaded distribution: ??? - ???
If you have and ideas or entries then please reply and I will edit this post.

Last edited:

1) The smallest. I think it's Tiny Core, it has three variants: Core (9(!)MB - CLI), Tiny Core (15MB - Core + GUI) and Core Plus (72 MB, which is an installation image).
Puppy is 156MB but it's complete and ready to use.
DSL is 50MB but it's dormant.
2) Most cloned is probably Debian. It's like more than 100 distros are based on it, most popular are Mint, all Ubuntus, LXLE, Elementary, Zorin, Kali, Ultimate, the only gNewSense etc.
3) It must be Mint, because it is the most popular as on DistroWatch.

1) There are distros which fit on a floppy e.g. tomsrtbt or Fd Linux, but usefulness becomes a question. Nanolinux (based on Tiny Core) is even smaller than Tiny Core itself.

2) There are "clones" of "clones". One could say that e.g. Ubuntu is based on Debian, but there are lots which are based on Ubuntu e.g. Mint, LXLE, Elementary, Ultimate etc. It is said that "based on" doesn't mean anything. http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=114644&start=15#p542283

3) It is a common misconception that Distrowatch measures which Linux is most popular. It does not. It measures the number of Page Hits on Distrowatch. If I have Ubuntu (I don't) and I am happy with it I don't have any need to hit either the Ubuntu page on Distrowatch , the Linux Mint page, or anything else on Distrowatch. How is Distrowatch, or anyone else, to know which Linux is most popular?

1) The smallest. I think it's Tiny Core, it has three variants: Core (9(!)MB - CLI), Tiny Core (15MB - Core + GUI) and Core Plus (72 MB, which is an installation image).
Puppy is 156MB but it's complete and ready to use.
DSL is 50MB but it's dormant.
2) Most cloned is probably Debian. It's like more than 100 distros are based on it, most popular are Mint, all Ubuntus, LXLE, Elementary, Zorin, Kali, Ultimate, the only gNewSense etc.
3) It must be Mint, because it is the most popular as on DistroWatch.
1) There are distros which fit on a floppy e.g. tomsrtbt or Fd Linux, but usefulness becomes a question. Nanolinux (based on Tiny Core) is even smaller than Tiny Core itself.

2) There are "clones" of "clones". One could say that e.g. Ubuntu is based on Debian, but there are lots which are based on Ubuntu e.g. Mint, LXLE, Elementary, Ultimate etc. It is said that "based on" doesn't mean anything. http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=114644&start=15#p542283

3) It is a common misconception that Distrowatch measures which Linux is most popular. It does not. It measures the number of Page Hits on Distrowatch. If I have Ubuntu (I don't) and I am happy with it I don't have any need to hit either the Ubuntu page on Distrowatch , the Linux Mint page, or anything else on Distrowatch. How is Distrowatch, or anyone else, to know which Linux is most popular?
Updated! Thank you!

Yes, based on Debian simply means that it uses .deb packages.

I think Mint and Ubuntu are the most popular because many people that use them think Linux is just one distribution and there are no more. They call it like "Linux 14.04" or "Linux 17".

Members online

Latest posts