Linux mint unsuccesful installation

Placeholder_87

Reaction score
Credits
I was installing linux mint to replace windows. On the screen that says to remove the install media and press enter, I did that and my laptop froze. I left for about 15 minutes on this screen, but nothing happened. I did a hard reset, and when my laptop turned on it showed the "your device needs to be repaired" screen. How can I fix this?

G'day Placeholder, Welcome to Linux.org

Which version of Linux Mint did you attempt to install?

When the instal;l was taking place, do you remember seeing a screen that asked if you would like to install nonfree drivers?.......if you saw it did you tick the box ?

The easiest way forward would be to reinstall

The new installation will wipe anything left on the hard drive

Keep an eye out for the non free drivers I mentioned above and make sure you tick the box.

While you are answering the couple of questions up above, please let us know what your laptop is...specs and make and model

Sounds like you had a corrupt installation,
start again following these guidelines
How Do I Install Linux (A General Guide) • Linux Tips
and make sure you chose the right build for your equipment, am-64 for most 64 bit systems, Arm if you have a netbook with Arm core cpu or a 32 bit distribution if its an old 32 bit machine

Alright, guess I'll start over. I did check the non-free drivers box on the setup. Now I will go read the guide on installing linux. Thanks for the support. Also I installed mint version 20.3 on the laptop hp 14 model r206-nv.

Laptop and Linux details ?

Got it from your post above....Thanks

Last edited:
I installed mint version 20.3 on the laptop hp 14 model r206-nv.
If you're still having problems after trying again in your other box, then let us know the full make and model, so we can look for known problems

Got it. I still havent reinstalled, I'll do it later. I will notify about what happens when I complete the install.

Mint is a good choice. Follow the advise given and give us more info on your machine. Often times it can be something simple like making sure secure boot and fast boot are turned off in Bios. Good Luck.

@Lord Boltar this is not the one he is asking about
"Also I installed mint version 20.3 on the laptop hp 14 model r206-nv."

corrupt installation
I Agreed I think the iso is corrupted.
@Placeholder_87
Try downloading it again and flash the iso to a pen drive with at least 8GB space using balena etcher.

How much storage space did you give to mint?

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts