Linux Mint (Cinnamon) 21.3 Available via Update Manager

Condobloke

Reaction score
Credits
As the title says....the upgrade is now available via the update manager

PLEASE: Take a Timeshift snapshot BEFORE you start the Upgrade

The Upgrades' availability may also be announced in the system tray (near the clock) in th e form of the System Reposts icon.

To use Clem's favourite word, it is 'Trivial"....as simple as can be...no hoops to jump through.

Word of advice, if you get the word 'apply' on the update screen....dont click it....just sit back, keep your itching fingers away form the keyboard and mouse, and allow it to do its thing.

There will be a few miniscule delays. Get used to it.

It will finally tell you it is done.....Please reboot. And that is the end of that.

Advice:....Again:......read the release notes and the new features notes....Inform yourself, so you can inform others, accurately

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For those who have an interest in Wayland.....I have pasted the blurb re that below. Not a big deal.

Wayland
The work started on Wayland. This was identified as one of the major challenges our project had to tackle in the mid to long term.

Cinnamon 6.0 running on Wayland
Wayland isn't expected to replace Xorg as default any time soon, not in 21.3, not in 22.x, but we want to be ready all the same.

Cinnamon 6.0 features experimental Wayland support. In the login screen a new option was added to start Cinnamon on Wayland.

The Wayland session isn't as stable as the default one. It lacks features and it comes with its own limitations.

It was added as a preview for people interested in Wayland and as an easy way for them to test if they want to give us feedback.

A board was set up to keep track of Wayland development. It’s available at https://trello.com/b/HHs01Pab/cinnamon-wayland.

A dedicated Github repository was created for issues related to Wayland, whether they need fixing in Cinnamon, in an XApp project, a Mint tool or anything software project we maintain: https://github.com/linuxmint/wayland.

In terms of timing Wayland support doesn't need to be fully ready (i.e. to be a better Cinnamon option for most people) before 2026 (Mint 23.x). That leaves us 2 years to identify and to fix all the issues. It’s something we’ll continue to work on and improve release after release.

Whenever it happens, assuming it does, we’ll consider switching defaults. We’ll use the best tools to do the job and provide the best experience. Today that means Xorg. Tomorrow it might mean Wayland. Cinnamon and Linux Mint will be ready and compatible with both.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hypnotix.

I see some improvement there. AT least I can access some Australian tv channels, quite a few movies etc......but really I am not super impressed.

Everything else I have clicked on so far has worked seamlessly

more later

Last edited:

Interestingly,

Linux Mint 21.3 comes with full support for SecureBoot and compatibility with a wider variety of BIOS and EFI implementations.

Grub is used in EFI mode.
Isolinux/syslinux is used in BIOS mode.

The tools and framework used by Linux Mint to produce its ISO images were updated and are now based on the latest version of live-build.

The team also drastically reduced the internal differences between LMDE and Linux Mint ISO images.

The tools and framework used by Linux Mint to produce its ISO images were updated and are now based on the latest version of live-build.
That's what I was hoping to hear. Being new to Linux, I've installed all kinds of stuff out of curiosity that I really don't need. Sure, I could uninstall them. But at this point, I think I would be better off doing a fresh install and start again with a clean slate.

The team also drastically reduced the internal differences between LMDE and Linux Mint ISO images
I found that interesting. I do wonder if there are any differences to the end product (LMDE 6)...?

I can only assume at this stage, that the work undertaken to "drastically" reduce internal differences was done for good reason

Using my Mint box, I ran through the update process. It said something about dependencies not responding so I clicked on the wait button a few times. Everything downloaded and looks properly done. All I need to do now is reboot. I'll attend to that when I get to it.

My assumption is that everything went smoothly.

Update: I rebooted successfully. I had a brief interruption and figured it was a fine time to reboot.

Code:
$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:    Linuxmint
Description:    Linux Mint 21.3
Release:    21.3
Codename:    virginia

I do not reboot often.

I have more than one pc to update

Mine was ummm....different...it took its time downloading the required files....an inordinate length of time.

Eventually it was successful. (other downloads from this software source are always fast)

The interruptions/pauses were longish....I simply sat and waited.....eventually it did its thing without any actual errors.

Clem & Co could perhaps pay some attention to this 'trivial' hiccup

.it took its time downloading the required files.
I started the update on Friday on my backup PC. It reported a download time of 2 hours and 45 minutes. So, I cancelled it. I just figured their server was getting pounded by everyone. Part of my reasoning for waiting and doing a full install to update.

Mine did similar....I think it forecast around 34 minutes....I have never had a download take that long !!....ever !

So, I went and cut the grass.

That was enough.

All done and dusted.

I also found the upgrade steps hesitated quite a bit....so I kept on clicking 'wait' when that opportunity presented itself....and all went smoothly.

I would normally opt for a fresh install, but seeing this is only a point release, there is not really any benefit

Weird. My download was maybe 20 minutes long - and I/m on a pretty horrible connection.

I didn't time it or anything, so I am going by perception. It was not long at all. It was certainly under a half hour.

Interestingly,

Linux Mint 21.3 comes with full support for SecureBoot and compatibility with a wider variety of BIOS and EFI implementations.

Grub is used in EFI mode.
Isolinux/syslinux is used in BIOS mode.

I just saw it here...https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_virginia_whatsnew.php

Does this mean you no longer have to turn off secureboot before you install Linux Mint or any other Distro ? If it does that will be great as my new Motherboard has it and it's never smelt the fowl stench of windoze ever.
m1211.gif

Does this mean you no longer have to turn off secureboot before you install Linux Mint or any other Distro ?

Yes, that is exactly what it means

Yes, that is exactly what it means

This should have happened years ago...secureboot was invented by m$ to stop people installing Linux on their computer but they will deny it...anyway it has no use in Linux.
m1212.gif

I guess I should have been more specific.

Quote, Clem.

""Linux Mint 21.3 comes with full support for SecureBoot ""

That would include, Cinnamon, Mate and XFCE, DE's........ONLY, (
at this stage)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Members online

Latest posts