Linux Integrator

S

sidcss

Hi,

I am new to the Linux world. I am using Ubuntu 15.10 for the last 4 months without any issue.

I am looking for information on the profile of a "Linux Integrator". This person is supposed to be able to build the Linux OS for a system which is customised as per the requirements and hardware specifications of the target system.

I would like to know the sequence of steps which will lead me to become a Linux integrator. I am aware of the basics of PC hardware but programming is a bit of a challenge as of now which can be overcome with study and practice (the C Shell in Linux). I expect the last step to be to clear a certification (CompTIA Linux+ at the very least if i am not mistaken).

I am giving myself a time of 2-3 years from now which i expect to be enough to reach the goal by starting from scratch.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks and Regards
sidcss

I would start with some good books. I am a fan of the O'Reilly and Associates books, but choose what you like. Linux In A Nutshell would be good for an overview, Site Reliability and Engineering sounds like it should give you more specifics (I have not read this one), then look into The Network CD Bookshelf for networking concepts. A language could help - Perl is easy, powerful, and ubiquitous. Linux Server Hacks shows a lot of "how to" - although it may not be directly applicable, it shows how to approach tasks with Linux. Something on system and network security would also help; Practical UNIX and Internet Security was dry and hard to slog through, but great information.

"Linux Integrator" is somewhat generic and broad; however, a good overview of shells, administration, programming, database, and networking will get you close to where you want to be.

Of course, this is just my opinion - others may chime in with some other ideas.

Thanks for the reply. I was not sure of where to start and you have given me some specifics on the road ahead.

Thanks once again.
sidcss

Reply back if you need more direction - we are happy to help!

...and yes, that is a lot of reading I dumped on you!

Well, it is indeed as you said that the reading list is a really big one. This will take a few months at the very least.

One Q - Would it be better if i went through Operating System Concepts by Galvin before anything as suggested by someone known to me?

I took a look at the overview for that book; it looks to be on the right track for what you are looking to learn. I have been in the IT industry for almost 30 years, and I am still reading and learning. This looks like it can be a good starting point. I would say go for it, and if you find that book to be a bit beyond your experience, look at learning a few other items first, then come back to it.

Good luck on your journey!

In order to get more information related to Linux operating system, search by using keyword linux operating sysytem. You'll find some sites googling on google search engine.

Members online